We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a house on an island

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a house on an island

My wife and I will be traveling to Greece at the end of April. We plan on spending 3 days in Athens at the end of the trip, but for the first 4 days I would like to find a less-touristy island where we can rent a house or a room in a B&B on the beach away from the crowds and relax, eating in great restaurants at night, swimming and reading a book during the day (I understand the weather is somewhat unpredictable in April). Any suggestions where we can look?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a house on an island

Given the unpredictability of the weather in April, ti could be worth considering maybe (Western) Crete/Santorini (Oia?) - of which might be considered touristy in some degree, but certainly have areas that are nice and quiet if you want them.

I'm sure some of the area experst will have more focussed advice in terms of travel to Athens at this time of year.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a house on an island

mpugs -- a reality check. April is not swimming weather in Greece, it's not even beach weather really. Greece is NOT the Caribbean. Puerto Rico's Latitude is 18 ... but Athens is 37.5, Same as San Francisco and Cincinnati OH and you certainly don't swim in either of those in April...

You may be able to sunbathe a bit ... it will get up into the low 60s when it's not raining. But in no way will you be able to get into the water. I'm not kidding. I'm from eastern US, used to swimming in the Atlantic, and The earliest I've been able to swim at all in Greece was May 12 or so ... and that was the farthest-southeast Island, Rhodes, in Lindos Bay which is known as a "sun-trap" ... and you'd have to fly there & back from Athens. I froze my behind trying to enter the sea in Southern Crete one year on about May 9.

Did you check weather before you booked flights? Or if you have not yet booked, can you push your trip 2 weeks later?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a house on an island

Haven't booked flights yet, but we're set on Greece. Maybe I need to change plans and have this more of a sightseeing trip as opposed to a beach trip. thanks for the feedback!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a house on an island

If you are a polar bear or a seal, then April will be fine for swimming. Otherwise, if that's an important part of your plans, (and also, eating outside is desired), look to a different part of the world, or go to Greece at least after mid May, and preferably start of June.

Edited: 09 February 2010, 07:29
Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a house on an island

Janet, my fiance (who is a bit crazy in this regard, I will admit) has started back up again swimming in the Aegean as of last week; he stopped in mid-November. So people do it.... Of course he has the luxury, since he lives here, of only doing so on nice days (like today). If one is going to be here for a few days, it's quite easy to be unlucky and not get to swim at all. Personally, and I consider myself relatively normal, I would not go in the sea in Greece before June.

Anyway, as far as locations, I agree with the others to stay south - just make sure you pick a spot that you would be just as happy sight-seeing in as you would be going to the beach. For that I would suggest Rhodes or Crete as well, being southerly you will of course have your best chance for warmer weather there as well.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a house on an island

Hey and welcome mpugs..I'm w/Haroula here (or I should say, her fiance;-) Although end April can certainly fall into that 'iffy' area, it can also be sunny/warm/cloudless..My last 2 visits to Santorini both fell in first half of May with on one occassion an arrival on the 3rd..and day temps hit 80'sF throughout easy..definite cooldown at night w/the sun setting..as well as the early mornings prior to sunrise..that's when it hit upper 50's/low 60's! Great sunbathing weather by day..managed some dunks in the pool (as well as actually dunks in the Sea in April up in the Northern isles which are considered cooler!) It comes down to what the weather will be like when you are there..so maybe a caldera view room in Oia..where you'll be able to soak up some sun..read a book, relax, take in some nice local tavernas,etc., everything minus the swimming and even then, who knows;) If you can move it up even by a week..to kinda 'melt' into May, you may do better..no one knows what weather this year will bring..and agree that Rhodes would be ideal at this time as well..although chances are here you'll be too busy running around checking out all the wonderful sites..as oppossed to 'lying low';-) Let us know how the planning goes...Enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a house on an island

I think that Rhodes would be your best bet weather-wise. Then if it is too cool for the beach, there is wonderful sightseeing, and decent shopping, in Old Town Rhodes and Lindos.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a house on an island

Regarding eating outside, i will have a different opinion i am afraid than John :)

With the possible exemption of 10 - 20 days this winter we usually dine outside. April is certainly time for dining outside at least at lunch with sun sometimes too hot for this.

Yesterday for example it was a full sunny day and in some places it was not pleasant to sit outside, not beacause it was cold but it was too sunny and too hot.

No reason to be so much over the edge to prove the simple things.

For most people swimming is not an option at end of April, nevertheless i know many people that start swimming from that time. Northern European are happy to visit this time of the year and swim, like Canadians or people from Northernmost states of USA. Will it be a hot water? Not really. It nver is anyway. Will it possible? for the majority of people it is not a pleasant water, i admit. For some though it is a great time to swim and i can assure they are no seals nor polar bears, but simple humans.

Regarding outside dining, plz, give me a break. We dined outside on Sunday with Great Britain freezing to the bone but Athens having a nice 17C. It is not possible to do it every day, it is not possible to do it in a remote humid island, still end of April it is. Not summer hot but doable for sure.

Edited: 09 February 2010, 16:29
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a house on an island

Back to the original question:

Crete and / or Rhodes are the Southernmost destinations of the country. I would check them for sure.

Crete may be too big for a 4 days visit but will ensure the warmest possible weather. Needs some planning. It is not really possible to explore the island in 4 days, so i would concentrate on one side of it, either Western or Eastern. Rhodes is smaller, much more manageable.

Both are great options. For both of them i would pick accomodation in central towns to enjoy the local buzz. It's the kick of the season but these two islands ( among other ) have big local population. If you ask me, they are much better this time of the year rather than peak season.

I would check Chania town or Rethymnon town on Crete.

I would research on Rhodes Town or Lindos on Rhodes.

On a 4 days trip, concentrate of course in just one island + Athens. Trip between them is better to be done flying. These two destination are served by all domestic carriers, which are

http://en.aegeanair.com/Default.aspx

http://www.olympicair.com/Home.aspx?a_id=256

https://www.athensairways.com/

This is the order ( starting from which i consider the best ) i would research rates.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a house on an island

Thanks for confirming my status as a human being, Nick;-) Although I've never lived in Greece..have had the pleasure of visits to include every month of the year and love the fact that folks do manage to enjoy outdoor dining year round..for the most part! So..too much sun yesterday, eh?! Sigh ~ wish I was there..and seated smack in the sunshine..we're freezing here and awaiting a snow storm tonight into tomorrow..suppose to get up to a foot of the white stuff;-) Still enjoyin'!