We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

I am taking my mom to Greece this June for the first time in 38 years. She met my dad in Athens (he has since passed away) so this is a special 'memory lane' trip for her (and pressure for me!). I am so confused about where to stay, help! We are looking for around 130-170 euros a night. I think we would like to stay in the Plaka area. My mom has bad knees, walking far is a challenge and we want to see the sights, but we like to be near the bars/restaurants/gyro stands (I would say that is most important, we can take transport to get to the sites)! So no hills, long walks to get to the 'main' areas. We need 2 beds and I would like a view. I would like a nice room. We don't need a pool, but some sort of outdoor space would be ideal (balcony or roof top). Any suggestions for somewhere special, nice, in the middle of it? Hotels we are looking at: Electra (not Palace), Amalia, Airotel Parthenon, Royal Olympic, Athens Gate, Plaka Hotel, Hera... Thank you! Becky

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Hey and welcome Becky:-) Sounds like a wonderful and sentimental mission! Think your choices of Amalia, Royal Olympic (this one does have a pool!) and Athens Gate are excellent..The Amalia is super convenient and a couple of blocks from the main Square and transport hub at Syntagma! It, along w/Athens Gate do lie on a main drag so it can get noisy although they have installed noise-proof windows/doors (leading out to balconies ~ yes, they both have them;-) Only an issue w/the front rooms really..but those are the ones I'd opt for, for the views and action! All the main sites are within walking distances since they cover barely a mile...and of course, the Akropolis does require a bit or a walk but on slanted steps..nothing you won't be able to handle with stops enroute up;-) Make sure you stop at the new Acropolis Museum..the cafe/restaurant there is outdoors as well and a wonderful place for a break under the shadow of the Akropolis;-) You're travelling at a wonderful time..and it will be hot in the City..make sure you've got your shades..and carry a bottle of water around..just like we do here;-) Let us know how it goes...am sure it's a very exciting and thought provoking time for both of you...happy planning and ENjoY!

Edited: 19 February 2010, 00:23
Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

There's an elevator at the Acropolis that your mom may be able to use... see nick_arch's reply in the post linked here for where to find more info:

http://tinyurl.com/yhoxqlc

Hope you both have a wonderful time in Greece!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Our cruise friends really enjoyed their stay last June at the Athens Gate, which has a rooftop restaurant with great views.

Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Thank you all - I am going to book the Athens Gate I think. My head was spinning before, so I so appreciate all your help and suggestions. We are going to have such fun!!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

I'd go for Aerotel Parthenon due to its proximity to the sights but I'm not quite sure if there are any rooms with nice views. You could, of course, ask the hotel to clarify.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Our pleasure becksCA..and it certainly sounds like like some fun will be had! Let us know how the planning goes..keep enjoyin'!

Antwerp
Level Contributor
365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Can't go wrong with Athens Gate!!!! Very nice view, food is great and a VERY FRIENDLY staff.

You both gone enjoy it!!!

Have fun.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Many people posting on this forum have reported liking Athens Gate. There were 2 provisos ...(1) the hotel fronts on a very busy street 6 lanes of traffic busy day & evening ... so ask for a room at the BACK of the hotel.. which anyway is on the sunset side... on an upper floor . (2) someone said their room was directly under the roof terrace and they heard a lot of footsteps, chair scraping etc. So -- upper floor back but not TOP bedroom floor. Then, go for it!

Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

I booked Athens Gate and asked a room on the 6th floor (not the top) and away from the street. Now we will see what we end up with! I am sure it will be fine. We will just be so excited to be there I am sure we will be exhausted and sleep through whatever is thrown our way. Now if June would just get here quicker!!! Thank you all.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens Hotel Room - Please help!

Our pleasure:-) Am sure it will be a very exciting time! Now for that 'wait';-) Keep enjoyin'!