We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

London, UK
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the best or safest place to stay in Athens? I am coming to visitng on 17th April for a few days but not sure how long i should stay, is 3 days enough to see athens?

Not sure which places are good with location and safety so can someone help me please? Also what is the weather like in April, is it warm enough?

I would like to see another place outside athens for the day, can anyone suggest where to go?

Thanks.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

I've been travelling to Greece annually for years, and I've still not exhausted all Athens has to offer, but if 3 days is what you have, then 3 days it will have to be. As far as a day trip is concerned, though, I suggest that you add one day to your stay. Athens isn't a place for hurrying, and it has a number of terrific museums and galleries to visit in addition to the Acropolis and the other historic locations.

I wouldn't be concerned for safety at all, except that I've been told that the area around Omonia is unsafe, or at least unsavoury, late at night. I never recommend that area as one in which to stay simply because it seems to me that every motor vehicle in the city is required to travel around that circle all day and all night. It's just too noisy for me. I trust the judgement of the locals who make the comments, so it's not on my hotel radar at all.

My recommendation for a place to stay is Plaka, the old district of the city. There are a number of hotels from which to choose for just about any budget and almost everything of interest to tourists is within walking distance.

My favourite day trip is to the island of Hydra via Flying Dolphins hydrofoils. There are only 3 vehicles on the island, all belonging to Hydra town. It's a place where walking, water taxis, and donkeys, are the transportation choices, so it's a very quiet place and has all the charm and views one expects from a Greek island.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Three days is a good time for a first trip to Athens, although perhaps I say that because that is the amount of time I had for my first trip!!

The Plaka and Syntagma areas are great places to stay, very close to the major sights, museums, restaurants and shopping, as well as very safe.

Enjoy your visit!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Hello Sona from the most beautiful place on earth! :-)

3 days are enough for a first visit, do try to arrive early in the morning and depart late in the night though.

I would advise you to not plan any trips out of town since you already have quite limited time.

Areas that you should be looking to stay at are indeed Syntagma and Plaka; I will also add Acropolis, Thission and some parts of Monastiraki. If you share your budget with us (in euros, please) we'll be happy to recommend plenty of hotels to choose from.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,551 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Acropolis walk and area

http://tinyurl.com/czdx56

Monastiraki

http://tinyurl.com/qvv6nr

London, UK
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Hi TH13

Yes if you can recommend some hotels worth staying in that would be greate. Much appreciated on your reply and everyone elses. I have a whole week booked off work so time is not really an issue, I think I will spend 3 days in Athens and an extra day outside Athens.

Are there any areas outside Athens worth going for , for the day?

Thanks again.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Well, there are many hotels that are worth staying at but unless we know your budget (in euros) we won't be able to recommend any!

There are also plenty of places outside Athens that are worth visiting but you need to share a bit more with us regarding what are you looking for. Ancient sites? A nice place to wander around and grab lunch? Would you rather an island or somewhere to go by bus? How long are you willing to travel for? Will it be a day-trip or do you want to stay overnight?

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Hello, sona --

Depending on your personal travel style, and whether or not you enjoy visiting museums, three days in Athens may not be enough! If all you really want to do is see the more famous outdoor sites, perhaps visit the new Acropolis Museum, and stroll around in the Plaka area, three days will be enough. If you are interested in a guided walking tour, this company is often recommended: http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/

But, if you have an interest in visiting museums, and like to take your time in touring them, add a couple more days!

Here's a web page with a fairly comprehensive list of Athens museums:

http://www.athensguide.com/museum.html

Beyond museums and ancient/historic sites, you might want to take the tram to the coastal suburbs -- April is too early for the beach, but this area is quite pretty, and a nice change from the hustle and bustle of downtown!

A little more info:

http://www.athensguide.com/tram.htm

Hope you enjoy planning your trip, and have a wonderful time in Athens!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

I would also be very interested as to where to stay in Athens. My friends and i are travelling there in Aug this year and we only have 1 DAY!!! which is not too good. Lucky my partner and i have some time in athens before we head out to the islands!

I've spoken to a few people and i've been warned off staying in or near Omonia Square. We want to stay close to the Plaka or Syntagma square as we only have a limited time so we would like to be close to at least a few attractions.

The problem i'm finding is that anywhere in these areas just doesnt work within our budget of 60E/night. We would obv like as cheap as possible and have found one hotel for 43E/night - The Athinaikon.

Any thoughts or ideas?

thanks!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Hey panda-marnie-um:-) Check the Phaedra Hotel..comes highly reccommended by a number of our regulars..August will be hot but the good thing is the City will be practically empty since most will be off on the isles vacationing..so you may cut a good deal! Am sure others will kick in w/some great suggestions for you! Happy planning and EnjoY!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay and how long does one need to see Athens?

Or Try Myrto Akropolis Hotel, I got a good deal of 71 euros a night in May