We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Olympic Hotel

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
588 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Olympic Hotel

I am in the planning stages of a two week internationsal trip to selected cities including Athens. The Royal Olympic Hotel was recommended for our stay during May 2011. Can anyone comment on this hotel.........service, food, rooms, beds, bathrooms, location????? I am open to where to stay, need help. Room size important as I am 6-foot 4-inches and about 215 lbs. Appreciate any and all recommendations.

Drexel Hill
Level Contributor
223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

I too am staying there at the end of the month...from what I gather is that the location is excellent but depending on which rooms you booked, it may make a difference. We went for the location rather than amenities...their website looks great but I found that reality isn't alway the case in most hotel pictures. There are some true shots taken by forum members that have given me an idea that it's not too bad. Good luck!

Edited: 16 March 2010, 00:20
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

There is absolutely no way to estimate what the rates will be in any hotel more than a year in advance of travel or which hotels might be refurbished in the interim. Check the reviews here on the forum for the Royal Olympic, and if you're not favourably impressed, check the Athens Hotels list on the left side of this page, and go to www.venere.com to see if anything better suits you.

For large rooms and king-size beds at an affordable (but not inexpensive) rate, you'll probably have to keep to the big chains - Hilton, Marriott, Intercontinental, etc. Novotel might be an affordable option.

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
588 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

1BC Traveler, you are so right about the timeframe. However, being retired this preplanning gives me the opportunity to study and read about our destinations, lodging, things to see and do, etc. Also I don't like suprises when I travel. I appreciate the new website to look at hotels and reviews. Now, what can you tell me about staying on the beach? I saw a few hotels on the website you recommended and I liked what I saw. thanks. John

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

Well, I stayed there just last month and contrary to most of the reviews I'd read about it, I REALLY enjoyed it there. If might be a little expensive if you are doing two weeks touring, since you might be taking price in mind, and it IS expensive there. The hotel itself is really really beautifully decorated. The pool area is very nice, with the seats being in the shade and the pool being very clean and also quite deep.

The roof garden/restaurant/bar is, I must say, absolutely divine. There's nothing better sitting there as the sun goes down over the parthenon on the Acropolis, seriously. It's expensive up there too though, €2.90 for a Coke, if I can remember correctly.

Service - Anything we requested was delivered to us without fuss, although we didn't need much. They clean the rooms (and do an excellent job) daily if you wish, and leave them spotless.

Food - The restaurant on the roof itself I wasn't too keen on. It's very "yuppey" fine dining up there and prices are OTT. We went once and I didn't like the food I had at all, but that's just me (see location). Breakfasts there were alright, I suppose. There was lots of breads and fruit (Greeks aren't into the whole breakfast thing like we are, anyway).

Rooms - The room we were in was one of the basic "deluxe" rooms with a nice view of the pool. The room was quite small but very neat, clean and well decorated. Also, the air-conditioning was fantastic. The bathroom was quite small, and I'm sure you can have much more glorious marble ones if you get a more expensive room, but the shower hose was powerful - very good. The beds were very comfortable. They have covers with that material that you "sink" in to. Although I hate hotel beds because of the way they are tucked under the mattress.

The best till last - Location - This is where this hotel made our trip wonderful. The location was by far perfect!! Unless you want a beach holiday, which you don't I assume. There's: a Chinese restaurant right beside the hotel (with one particularly vicious waitress - avoid it) if you're desperate; a 'Key Tours' agency down the road past the Chinese place. They do a selection of different places; the 'Plaka' district is 5 minutes away. It has all sorts of shops and restaurants. The bustling atmosphere of the place is worth the visit, if nothing else, and eating al fresco in the evening is a wonderful experience there. It's an excellent place to shop for souvenires too, if you're into that; the Acropolis (practically Athens' main attraction) is only up past the plaka district, and also the temple of Zeus is literally RIGHT across from the hotel!! The location made this hotel absolutely perfect for us.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

We have stayed here. It IS expensive, but it is a quiet location, dignified, safe, and good food. We did not have Acropolis view rooms (if they exist though). On one stay we overlooked the pool, but on another, it was looking out at the back of another building. It is close to the yellow trolleys for the museum and the trams to Glyfada and Piraeous. You can walk to the Acroplis or take the bus that goes to the tour bus parking at the bottom.

Drexel Hill
Level Contributor
223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

This was an adequate hotel in that the location is the best selling part. But we had problems with the air conditioner and the rooms were not at the 5 star that they claim. I always wonder at the price difference between 5 stars hotel... how can hotels with 5 stars have such a wide range in rates.... simple furnishings, small bathrooms, etc may be the reasons aside from location. Our stay was plain... location was the best part.

We decided to stay for 3 nights at the King George Hotel on Syntagma Square after the cruise and what a difference! The beds were comfortable with linens sheets that you just don;t want to leave...double upgrades to a 2 bedroom suite ( we had our 2 teenage boys with us). It was very impressive and what a difference! Now this is a 5 star hotel and location was equally great...of course, for a price.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

The star ratings are not common on an international basis - what is a 5 star in US may not be the same standard in Europe, and may also differ between the countries.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

If you can afford the King George Hotel (which we could not), then the Royal Olympic won't match that hotel.

9. Re: Royal Olympic Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 07:21