We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Provo, UT
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

My husband and I are staying in Athens for 2 nights in June. From a little reading, I found that Plaka is the main tourist area. SHould we stay there or consider any other neighborhoods?

We want to see the Parthenon and other tourist things, cafes, etc.

Also, any suggestions on a hotel?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

Hey again laceylyn77:-) The Syntagma/Plaka area is ideal..especially for a couple of days just for the convenience alone..you're smack central to most major sites..and area is extremely walkable with lots of pedestrian only streets! If you provide a budget spread, am sure you'll get loads of property suggestions....EnjoY!

Provo, UT
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

Thanks Litsa. I am thinking possibly betweek 90 to 150 Euros. I suggestion I've received is the Attalos Hotel. Any thoughts?

Also, we are normally beach people, however since I haven't been to Greece, how necessary is it to stay near the beach, or have a good view?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

Athens is not on a beach.

Other hotel suggestion for june -- Look at Airotel Parthenon. It is Very handy ... it is about 50 yards from the Akropolis Metro station, (just South of the Acropolis). and another 25 yards to get to the New Akropolis Museum. --- see this handy simplifed map of hotels & highlights:

cretetravel.com/Athens/…Athens_map.htm

The hotel is not on here, but the Museum and Metro station are.

The museum is on the beautiful no-cars walkway, Dionysus Aeropagitus, which is the easy way to go up on the acropolis. As you can see, everything is in walking distance. At your budget, this hotel is in much nicer environs than Attalos. Attalos is an ok hotel, but on a somewhat grungy block, just outside of Plaka district on the North side of Acropolis.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

I meant to add that this hotel may be available at 90 or 100€ -- especially I hear if you book thru booking.com -- and it has many more amenities than Attalos for the same price.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

The Athenian suburbs of Glyfada, Voula, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza, etc. are actually along the coast and there's plenty of beaches and hotels there, but for sightseeing in Athens, the most convenient hotels are, of course, in Central Athens.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

Hi there

if you want some beach time, all you have to do is to take the tram from the station at the southeast corner of Syntagma Square and Amalias Ave with "Voula" on the front and this runs down to the beach suburbs of Glyfada and Vouliagmeni, takes about 35-40 minutes and is a very pleasant ride.

Provo, UT
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

Any suggestions for a hotel in the Plaka area?

Is the Plaka area walking distance from the Airotel Parthenon?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

Lacey, did you read my message? Did you click on the link and open that map? cretetravel.com/Athens/…Athens_map.htm

Did you read what I said? It is just one block from The Red M (Acropolis Metro startion)... that puts It bout 75 from the Pedestrianized walkway called Dionysiou Aerepagitou on the map, which marks the "official" boundary of Plaka. I would call that walking distance.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

that "75" is 75 FEET.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plaka? Or Another neighborhood

We've stayed in the Attalos a couple of times and will not be going back there. I've heard many good things about Hotel Astor and Airotel Parthenon and last year we stayed at the Cypria twice. Possibly a little more expensive than the Attalos, but personally I would pick one of those.