We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
607 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

Hello

I am wondering whether to take a risk on booking a 5* Hotel. The reason why I'm saying I'll be taking a risk is because I don't actually know which hotel it will be. I'm considering booking blind, which means you get a statement about the hotel and the amenities, and its only once you've booked you find out your hotel name. I tried hard to find out which hotel it could posssibly be, but simply don't know.

Are all the 5* hotels in central Athens worthy of thier stars?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

I wouldn't risk it for an Athens stay. The most important thing for any Athens hotel is location, not stars.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

I'm with Yiassas on this one.

Unless you want to post the description and we can have a go at guessing?

London
Level Contributor
607 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

OK, here is the quote, but its soooo generic.

Hotel information

50% OFF IN ONE OF THE MOST EXCLUSIVE 5 STARS OF THE CITY! Contemporary splendour in Athens city centre awaits you to discover the wonders of this magical city. The very best in hospitality services and facilites combined with class, luxury, modernity and a privileged setting granting you easy access to all major historical sites and transportation means.

Restaurant

■Hotel Restaurant: Award winning restaurant serving exquisite Mediterranean cuisine and fine international wines in a sophisticated atmosphere overlooking the Acropolis.

Bar

■Hotel Cafes & Bars: The hotel has high-class cafes and bars with breathtaking views of Athens as well as a poolside bar during the summer months.

Local attractions

■Acropolis

■Winery

■Central Market

■Foundation of Hellenic World

■Jewelry Workshop

I was thinking Grande Bretagne - but I dare not!

Toronto
Level Contributor
75 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

Hi cantwaitformehol,

If you are talking about priceline.com, the 5* hotel for Athens is the InterContinental Athenaeum. My husband and I will be staying here for the Athens portion of our upcoming visit to Greece. Our successful bid of $70usd/night outweighed our desired to stay at a hotel in the Plaka. Hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

I don't think the Grande Bretagne would list the Foundation of the Hellenic World (or a Winery, or a Jewelry workshop) as a local attraction. I did a few searches and the only hotel that came up as a part match was indeed the Intercontinental. But you're right, it's hard to tell with such a generic description.

London
Level Contributor
607 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

Thanks for your input guys. I'll think some more about whether to go for it or not. Its not priceline its lastminute.com. I know priceline use the Intercontinental and the Marriot for their hotels.

Thanks again.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

Is it with Lastminute.com ? Try cutting and pasting the blurb in Google and see what comes up

Charlotte, North...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

No. Unless you know Athens, it may be way out from where you want to be. Travel in Athens is better with the new Metro, but still a challenge.

Charlotte, North...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

Good price. (on the InterContinental). But you'll have some hellish traffic to cross (on foot, I presume) and then a longish walk to the sites. If it's hot, you'll be a wreck when you get there and exhausted at the end of the day. As my mechanic used to say, "If you want economy, you're going to have to pay for it!"

Edited: 30 April 2010, 19:44
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 5* Hotel - Should I book without knowing which one it is?

It's most certainly the Metropolitan, which has the Hellenic Foundation at its doorstep. Not good for location, although it has a shuttle bus. The hotel itself is very good, recently refurbished, once upon a time the old Chandris.

However it's further away from the centre than the Intercontinental, but still on Syngrou Avenue, with no traffic lights enroute to central Athens.

Good to reach Piraeus, or the coastal area, the Attica beaches, Glyfada, Sounion and so on.

Here,

http://www.chandris.gr/athens/