We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

OK, so it isn't really a trip report if I sort of live in Athens, but I wanted to get people's attention and I really did meet him on the street the other day. If you are worrying about your safety in Athens, I've got a report with photos that may help you decide what to do about your planned trip to Greece and to Athens in particular. A little background, I'm an American in Athens so most of you can probably imagine that yesterday's news coverage left my phone ringing off the hook with concerned calls from friends and relatives in the States, and my email box full with queries from folks wanting to know what is really happening. I thought I'd share some photos from the last few days about how things have been here in Athens from the perspective of someone living and working 1.5 km from the Acropolis - http://tinyurl.com/safeathens

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Wonderful, balanced report, GVR Girl! If I had the funds, I'd be in Athens tomorrow!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Thank you for this.

Karen

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Snullr

The bright side of all of this is that your dollar is getting stronger - if this media coverage continues much longer, you should be able to get her before all of the poppies and chamomoille disappear from Mount Ymittos!

(Although I may be gone - Carole King tickets in Chicago on May 24 .... wanna join me?)

Karen - You are welcome!!! Anything for this country I [mostly] love.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Carole King does sound inviting, but I think I’ll save my dollars for a rendezvous on Ymittos -- with or without the poppies.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Thanks GVR for such a readable report of the situation.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

This thread is a lovely calm, rational oasis amid all the madness & panic. Thanks so much for posting - and the link leads to lots of other interesting reading apart from the PM encounter.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

GVR..(hi ..how are you?)..a fab report..thanks, and I think you should past this as "Live ..I am here in Athens!....Or as a special post on top of the forum, yhat way, everyone that has fears of travel to Greece, will read your calm, reasonable account.. Have fun at the C,K. concert.....Johnnie

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

I love the title - what a claim to fame :-)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Well, George and I really only had a brief moment in time together, but I felt the connection, since his mother is a fellow Chicago. I'm (almost) full of Greek celeb stories, interestingly they are almost all political characters (I accidentally kicked the former Minister of Finance in the back at a concert at the Herodion and last year I had lunch with the President of Greece:

My biggest thrill though was a few years ago in Chicago when I traveled 39 flights alone in a hotel elevator with Yorgos Dalaras. I didn't have the guts to take out my camera and snap a photo, but you can see President Papoulas with a Princess and my husband here:

http://tinyurl.com/grkpres

;-))))

Hi Johnnie!! (I'm doing great, thanks! You?) Maybe it should be posted with another name - keep recycling it like the media has been doing with their 15 minutes of footage from a 2.5 hour demonstration that they've been running since May 5 as if it has been going on non stop for the last 3 days ....

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My meeting with the Greek Prime Minister (Real Trip Report)

Please can we make GVR's link a "sticky" at the top of the thread???...It really should be run at the top of the forum..maybe it should be renamed "Safety in Athens"... like everything on the news. everything gets overdramatized, people who have not been, or are nervous travelers tend to forget how big Athens is (its huge...sprawling!).

Unfortunately, this is when our Greek friends need our tourist annd traveler

dollars more than ever. I called a American Greek friend of mine out of state, and I told him that I thought we should start an American Greek travel movement in our support of fellow Greeks. He thought it was a great idea...

The most recent fiscal trouble, and the fact that Greece usually is never on world TV news in the North America. I always promote Greek travel...and have already been called by a few travel agents, and some local press about Greece and Greek travel. I have commented, if you'd go to NYC, go to Athens...and even though we are 4 hours North of NYC, there is no one living here that wouldn't jump in a car and "roadtrip" to NYC, (unless maybe I was driving, LOL).

I had thought that this might be the year I skip going to Greece, but now more than ever, I am determined to get there. It is not a option.

Thanks again GVR, (great link) ,and say hi to "B".

Johnnie