We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Hello! I have decided to fly from Santorini to Athens the day before my departure back to NY. We have already been to Athens before on a previous trip with family who lives outside of Athens. We have seen all the sites and a few different areas. I would love for the last day of our vacation to be spent walking around leisurely, drinking wine outdoors, getting something at a local taverna...nice and casual and non-touristy. We were thinking of staying at the Sofitel that night for the convenience the next morning. We fly into ATH at 1pm that day and depart at 11am the following day. Any suggestions on our last day would be greatly appreciated!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Ηello. I don't have a specific restaurant to suggest.

Instead I propose to look for restaurants at the Maroussi and Kifissia train stations of the Pireaus Kifissia train line.Marousi has cheaper restaurants more close to the train station while Kifissia has nicer environment.For the return you take the proastiakos train line at Neratziotissa train station

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Ηello. I don't have a specific restaurant to suggest.

Instead I propose to look for restaurants at the Maroussi and Kifissia train stations of the Pireaus Kifissia train line.Marousi has cheaper restaurants more close to the train station while Kifissia has nicer environment.For the return you take the proastiakos train line at Neratziotissa train station

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

I agree with Kifissia as a suggestion. It's a "leafy suburb" of Athens on the train line (last stop on green line) with lots of cafes, restaurants, shops, and has a very different feel than downtown Athens with very few tourists. There are a few museums there if you're interested (the Natural History Museum, which is geared more toward schoolchildren but is still kind of fun, and the Archaeological Collection, which is small and quiet); as well as a bit of ancient stuff to see out and about; and lots of parks. It's a different "side" of Athens that most tourists don't see. I usually go there to eat at non-Greek restaurants so I don't have any Greek tavernas there to recommend though.

Another idea would be to explore Rafina, the port town on the other side of Attica and quite close to the airport. There are good restaurants there (I recommend Ksypolytos in the nearby town of Loutsa) although as a port town there are bound to be some tourists there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Kifissia is a good suggestion, but I'm not sure it can ever be described as "casual". I think "upmarket" is a better word, not exactly the kind of place to go for a simple taverna meal, but great if you're looking for a posher restaurant or somewhere serving tex-mex, pizza, asian etc.

Also, in my experience, although it's not "touristy", it's crawling with Americans and other foreign nationals living in Athens.

Close to the aiport though - you can take a taxi there for just 25€.

Rafina, I'd say, has more of a "casual taverna" feel or you could consider Varkiza - it's right on the edge of Athens, close to the airport and offers beaches, seaside tavernas, outdoor dining etc. in a more urban setting.

Edited: 14 May 2010, 15:26
Ottawa
Level Contributor
959 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Check out this site for reviews of several neighbourhood restaurants: true-athens.com/category/…

I haven't been to any, so can't personally vouch for them, but I like the site!

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

You could also find good local restaurants in Kypseli -- many are along and near Fokionos Negri -- basically a pedestrian avenue that's basically a long park with stone sidewalks lined with restaurants and cafes.

Most of the cafes on Fokionos are at the bottom of the "avenue," a block from Patission Street. Many are strictly coffee, alcoholic beverages and desserts, but some serve food. There are several "fast food" places (souvlaki, pizza, and such), and the real restaurants begin after the Demotiki Agora.

Last year, we ate at a psistaria (grill house) towards the top of Fokionos, but I can't remember the name! It was long... maybe something... Karbona? They had a very unusual and eclectic menu, including some New Orleans-style dishes. And there are dozens of other good places scattered about the neighborhood -- I've eaten at several over the years, and never had a bad experience!.

You can see where this neighborhood and Fokionos Negri are located on Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl is located

Athens
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Cellier le Bistrot (elegant), Fassoli, Tzitzikas and Mermigkas (around Syntagma square), Palaia Agora (value for money at Plaka), Ta kavouria tou Assimaki(Rafina Port), Acropolis museum and Benaki museum cafeterias serve food as well and the view is breathtaking. Hilton rooftop bar for a drink amazing view, Psaraki at Vouliagmeni for fish with a view to the athenian riviera, Glyfada for window shopping and coffee by the sea...

Athens
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

I agree with the suggestions for Loutraki, Voula and Varkiza also a great place for a water front dinner is Kabouri between Voula and Vouliagmenis. All of these are not too far from your hotel via taxi etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Longhorn Deb the restaurant you're thinking of is called S'Anammena Karbouna....you were close!

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-Touristy One Day in Athens

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I am off to plan my itenierary for the day!!