We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

auckland
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Hi All,

I'll like to get some feedback from some experts on this.

We are wanting to travel in May 2011.

The options so far are cruise from venice through croatia on to greece and the back to Venice, this option seems good but £3000 for 14 days is expenise (ive included flights).

Other option would be to do it by ourselve, fly to Dubrovnik, head up to split via the islands, then across to venice, then down via florence to rome, rome to Bari (via naples if we have to), bari to greek island (thinking korfu or just to athens), want to visit athens, mykonos and santirini while there. This option is alot better for the free spirited travel but I don't know if it will end up being more expensive than the above option really.

I want to get away with a budget on the 2000 - 2500 fir a 14 - 21 day trip, firstly am I realistic ? and your thoughts please.

Thanks in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

A significant portion of your budget will be eaten by international travel. Suggest you look at the costs of flying/ferrying between Croatia and Italy/Italy and Greece, plus train within Italy. That way you will have a rough idea of the cost of transfers.

With just 14 days and this much travel, you won't see much of each country. You definitely don't have enough time to see Athens, Corfu, Santorini and Mykonos, unless you fly everywhere (more costly) and you settle for a postcard tour (looking at a place, then moving on).

I think it's best to pick just two countries and aim to spend a week in each one, flying between them to save time. Even then it's a push and you won't be able to see everything on your list.

auckland
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Overall there are only a few places we really want to explore, they would be the following.

Athens

Mykonos

Dubrovnik

Venice

Rome

And a few places inbetween for a day

Hvar

Florence

Korfu

Bear in mind that we have traveled through this area and we are looking for a way to do things that would be more on the relaxing side of things.

My ideal would be

Fly Dubrovnik

Spend 2 night

Ferry to Hvar early and stay one night

Early ferry to Split then split to venice

2 nights in venice

1 night in florence

2 nights in rome

rome - bari - korfu (ferry)

Korfu 1 night

korfu - athens (ferry)

athens 2 night

next 3-4 spent on Mykonos or santorini

Fly out of Athens,

Yes it a bit of a flying tour but time we want to see as many places as we can before we move back to the otherside of the earth

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

I think you need to rethink your itinerary.

You are counting 15 sleeps but you don't seem to have allowed any time for travelling. For example, Rome to Bari is a good 4 hours by train, and the crossing from Bari to Corfu is something like 11 hours. That's a whole day spent travelling.

There is no ferry from Corfu to Athens - if there was one, it would take all day.

The ferry from Athens to Santorini is another 7-9 hours.

Grab hold of a map. Look at where you're going. Check the ferry/flight/train connections, duration, frequency and price. May isn't exactly peak time, so there will be fewer connections than in summer, especially for ferries. You need to make sure there are ferries/trains/automobiles going where you want to go when you want to go.

If you don't have the time or inclination to research your own itinerary, you may want to consider using the services of a travel agent.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Hey and welcome caroandcole:-) Have to agree you really need to check your timings here! For example, you've alloted 3 nights for 4 destinations in Croatia..you are totally dependent on ferry schedules here as well as spending most of your time enroute! For the trip over to Greece from Italy, bear in mind just to get down to Bari/Brindisi will pretty much eat up that day in Rome..I remember the ferry departing around 6p taking a full 12 hours arriving Corfu next morning 6a..although a time-saver and convenient way of travelling on an overnighter, you'll be utlizing practically that entire day in Rome just to make the ferry..then when you do get to Corfu, only way to get to Athens is either by a quick flight..or a long journey via ferry over to the mainland at Igoumenitsa..then a bus ride over to Athens which I believe can easily take 7+ hours! If it's possible to add a week or so, think you may be able to get a bit more out of the journey..it's a wonderful one and May is a great month, but does require time to accomplish and enjoy!

auckland
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

I think in this case simplification is best, we should choose where we want to go and not try to fit it in as little time as we can.

Athens, dubrovnik, mykonos and Santorini are the 4 that we haven't been to that we would like to see.

The annoying thing is the lack of direct links from greece to croatia, all solutions I have found are ferry via Bari, bus or train via Zagreb or further afield.

Let me ask, with 14 days in this area, what would be an Ideal iternary in your opinion,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Hey again..and couldn't agree more with you in the frustration in trying to get from Dubrovnik to Athens! I had same dilemna in Sept and ended up flying via Vienna just to get to DBV from Athens for 4 days to attend a Wedding! I, too, thought I'd find a simple/fast flight direct from Athens..non-existant! Nevertheless, w/your new set of priorities, think you can readily take it in in 2 weeks! Depending on where you want to start/end..if you're willing to fly into one Country and out of another..You can easily spend the 4 days you originally had alloted to Croatia to Dubrovnik only..it's fabulous..from there, you can check www.kayak.com/ www.mobissimo.com/ for flight connectionns over to Greece..FWIW, think there is a flight you may be able to hook up to from Venice to Mykonos..bypassing Athens at the start and saving it for the finale and from where I'd assume you'd be flying back home from?! Nonetheless, worth a look since ferry service over to Venice does exist from DBV..otherwise, you'd need to fly via Belfast..wherever you find..to Athens and take if from there..either flying/ferrying over to Santorini for example and working your way back to Athens..ferrying over to Mykonos..then either flight/ferry back to Athens..where I'd suggest at least 3 full days to take it in..loads to see/do here;-) Keep us posted..and keep enjoyin'!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Make a cruise

cruisecompete.com/itins/costa_victoria_cruis…

C.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Here's what I would do:

Fly from Dubrovnic to Athens via wherever (check Expedia or similar for schedules & prices). Even if it's via Belfast it will be easier and quicker than messing with trains and ferries.

Fly or ferry to Santorini.

Ferry to Mykonos.

Ferry or fly to Athens.

Leave Athens to the end of your trip. If you have longer than 3 days, consider adding a day trip to the mainland or a nearby island.

Alternatively, fly from Dubrovnic to Athens or direct to Mykonos or Santorini via one of the places you'd like to see, i.e. Rome, Venice or Florence, whichever works.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Hi Caroandcole,

I am travelling to all three countries you mention this year - and as the others have already mentioned the problem is the Greece - Croatia connection. I solved it by putting Italy in the middle of my itinerary. I didn't want to "waste" my time by taking ferry/road transportation if I could avoid it and it seems I managed it. Also if you book early enough you will get very reasonable fares and should be able to stay within your budget. Most of my flights cost approximately 40-60 euros each sector.

I am flying first into Athens, then onto Santorini doing my island trips, back to Athens, to Milan Malpensa - travelling in Italy and then taking flight from Malpensa to Dubrovnik.

Something along these lines could work for you if you are starting your holiday toward the end of May 2011. This year Easyjet aren't commencing their Malpensa-Dubrovnik route until the 2nd or 3rd week of June, but who knows what they will do next year. And its possible that other airlines will make life for us travellers easier and start more services to Croatia by next year, as its becoming increasingly popular.

I agree with Tinsey that you are far better off flying (even if it does mean backtracking or going via other countries) to utilise the most of your time.

Happy holiday planning.

Edited: 28 May 2010, 01:50
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greece, Croatia and Italy in one trip

Check out Croatia Airlines since they have recently added direct flights to Athens - croatiaairlines.com/nbspnbspnbspspecialoffer…

I'm not sure if they have a schedule for 2011 yet, but we are booked for Zagreb-Athens this September. The link I gave you lists a Dubrovnik-Athens flight, so that might be a good option for you.