We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

I am fortunate to have won a cruise from Athens to Istanbul.

My company is paying for one night's accomodation, pre-cruise, at the hotel Grande Bertagne. I am flying in a day early in order to have 2 full days in Athens (still not enough time - but certainly better than 12 hours!)

Here is my quandry. I have already booked 2 nights at the Athens Gate based on reviews on TripAdvisor for hotels in my budget. At the time of booking I didn't realize that the company would pay for one night at the Grande. I can cancel my Athens Gate reservation at no penalty, but an additional night at the Grande will cost me 180 euros.

I am paying 135 euros at the Athens Gate.... so for 270 euros I can stay at the Athens Gate for 2 nights or for 180 euros I can stay at the Grande Bertagne for 2 nights.

I'm assuming the Grande is a higher end hotel than the Athens Gate... is this true?

If you were me, what would you do?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,029 Reviews
Athens, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

So it's a choice between paying 270€ to stay at the Athens Gate or 180€ to stay at the Grande Bretagne?

Put it this way, I'd pay 270€ to stay at the Grande Bretagne :-)

Mentioned in this post
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,029 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

One night in Athens Gate, one night in Grande Bretagne.

C

Mentioned in this post
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,029 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

Thanks for the responses so far...

I did, for a fleeting moment, consider staying at both hotels... but seeing as how we only have 2 and a half days in Athens I can't be bothered moving hotels.

I know my original post seems a bit ridiculous, seeing as how I would be paying more to stay at the Athens Gate, but I liked the location and the reviews. From your response Tinsey I'm guessing the Grande IS that much nicer than the Athen's Gate and it does look as though the it is only about 1km away from the Athen's Gate - so the location is equally as good for seeing the sights.

I think breakfast was included at the Athen's Gate, but I guess 90 euro will buy a whole lot of breakfast!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,029 Reviews
Athens, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

Hey and welcome tiredofcold:-) Don't think twice..check it out www.grandebretagne.gr/ I manage to stay w/my Amex Starpoints! Can't be beat for locale..smack ON Syntagma Square! Not to say Athens Gate is not a wonderful property..just different calibre;-) You won't be disappointed..have a blast..and ENjoY!

Mentioned in this post
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,029 Reviews
Athens, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

Grande Bretagne is supposed to be the best hotel in Athens. It's bang on Syntagma Square, a stone's throw from Plaka and Monastiraki. It overlooks the Houses of Parliament and has a FANTASTIC roof garden bar/restaurant with Acropolis views. I've not heard one bad comment from anyone who's stayed there.

I'm sure Athens Gate is also lovely, but nothing compares to stepping out of your hotel and finding yourself in the centre of the city. It's also extremely convenient for the airport metro and buses, as well as tranfers to Piraeus.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
11,858 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,442 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,138 Reviews
Athens, Greece
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,029 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,743 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

GB is actually ON the Syntagma Square, and it is easy to navigate and walk to most sites and attractions. Stay there !

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

If this can help:

Grande Bretagne is more to the Classic style

Athens Gate is more to the modern style.

Grande Bretagne has a roof top pool + a spa at lower floors.

Athens Gate does not have one, but anyway you may not have enough time to lounge aroudn the pool.

Both have great roof top bars. Athens Gate' one is more simple. You can visit both though, regardless if you stay IN the hotel.

There is no comparison between the two comparing amenities. GB is considered and is better in amenities. It's a biiger hotel, more classic without a doubt.

Athens Gate though is a very very good hotel. It delivers its product really effectively and good.

Bottomline, i would pick based on style.

My sister for example loves everything classic. She would love to spend all her life in a GB room and would not be impressed at all by Athens Gate.

I love more simple interiors, minimal-style. I would love to stay in Athens Gate and i would feel ok but not in love with GB.

So: Simply: If you like classic interiors, pick GB without any second thought.

If you like more modern / minimal style, then Athens Gate is a good choice.

I have to admit that on this price difference i would pick GB.

Keep in mind that if you are arriving dawn - late night, airport subway will get you from the airport to GB at a direct ride of 39', much faster than a taxi on daytime. Subway station exit is appx. 90 seconds from the hotel's doors, while when you exit on the sq. you 'll just see it there.

Athens Gate too is offering good subway connection, being just one more stop on another line from where GB is.

Saying so, since both offer good transortation options.

Mentioned in this post
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,029 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

WOW! That was quick..1, 2, 3, 4 (well, make that 3.5) 'Go';-) IMO, it's a hands-down decision..but of course, that's why you're here asking not knowing either property and a 1st adventure! Nick clearly states the amenities..of which that rooftop pool..and spa are my personal faves! Chances are you won't have time for both..but do NOT miss that spa area..wonderful in the evening after a day's trekking..believe me;-) Sigh ~ wish I was back there right now..poolside (rooftop;-)..glass of red......Enjoyin'!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
347 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

Does anyone know if you can pay to use the pool at the Grand Brataegne?

We're staying @ the AVA hotel, (which got high reviews) but I'm hoping we won't miss a pool after sightseeing in the heat. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
AVA Hotel Athens
AVA Hotel Athens
1,788 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you were me... Athens Gate or Grande Bertagne

Wow - that was instant response!!

Thank you so much for your help - I am fully decided... the roof top pool and spa amenities sound amazing and I know my husband will use the pool even though we are there such a short time.

I can't wait - I know this will be a fabulous trip... too short... but fabulous none-the-less. 48 sleeps and counting!