We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Hi All, I want to get a taxi from the airport to the Acropolis Museum Hotel. I will be travelling with my wife and three boys + luggage.

1) Will I be able to find taxi they will fit us all in ie 5 passengers + luggage?

2) What will be the approximate cost to our hotel. It will be a Saturday around midday.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

1) No. Maximum number of passengers any taxi can take is 4.

2) Approx. 32€

You can see the taxi tariffs on the Athens airport website: www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageid=988&langid=2

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
439 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Depending on the size of your children, some taxi drivers might be willing to take you. I've taken a taxi from the airport as a member of group of five, some years ago.

Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Tinsey

I have another question for you. We are in Athens on a Sunday and Monday. We plan to do a Athens walking tour (part of which we see the changing of the guards). Would you do this tour on the Sunday given it the official changing of the guards. OR do it on Monday because it will be quieter at all the sites and go to the markets on the Sunday instead. I do know the changing of the guards happens every day. What are your thoughts. Thanks

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

I don't see why it would be quieter at the sites on Monday. I would do the tour on Sunday to catch the changing of the guards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

What Xaroula said :-)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

If that matters, Acropolis Museum is closed on Mondays.

If Monday is an arrival all the way from Australia, keep in mind you may pretty zoned due to the jet-lag.

In this case i would probably make a "light" plan for Sunday, or take a nap and go to Acropolis Museum Sunday afternoon; then hit the sites on Monday.

Ceremonial Change is one thing to consider, but Acropolis Museum being closed on Mondays + jetlag shall be taken in consideration.

Edited: 12 June 2010, 09:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Good point re: jetlag. I wouldn't plan to do anything much on that first day.

Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Thanks All

We are actually spending 3 nights in Istanbul prior to our arrival in Athens. jet lag should not be a problem. We arrive in Athens lunch time on Saturday. We leave Athens Tuesday morning for the islands. So in effect we have two and half days in Athens. So, from your replies, we should do the combo tour of Acropolis/city tour/Acropolis Museum on the Sunday. Any suggestions on what we do on the half day Saturday and the full day Monday.

The other option is do flea market Sunday morning with the Museum in the afternoon. Then on Monday do the Acropolis and city tour on Monday. What are your thoughts. Thanks again for your help.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Acropolis Museum and Acropolis site don't necessarily have to be visited on the same day. They are near to each other, they also have visual contact and they are a "twin" meaning one concludes the other.

But you really don't have to necessarily visit both on the same day.

My major focus, at any plan, would be a. to visit Acropolis as early as possible when i do visit it. It is really essential and will make your visit tremendously better. b. visit Acropolis Museum some midday or afternoon, meaning either 2 to 5 or 4 to 8.

May i suggest some alternative?

-----------------------------------------------

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Get settled to your hotel, then walk to Acropolis Museum area. Eiher visit it or go somewhere near for a late lunch. Your hotel is near Acropolis Museum and this is the area i would suggest exploring an arrival day. It's a key area and offers many things around.

So, reach your hotel ( remember, your hotel can reached by subway. Since you 'll not be jetlagged, i 'd say go for subway. It will cost 6 euros per adult ( 10 per double ticket ), 3 euros for any kid between 6 and 18, free for any kid younger than 6 yrs. So, if it's husband + wife + 3 kids between 6 and 18, ride will cost 10 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 19 euros from airport to your hotel. Much better than the +60 two taxis will cost ).

Please study this map:

tinyurl.com/AcropolisMuseumBoutiqueHotel

It includes the two subway stations your hotel is located between.

Both are in Red metro line.

It also includes the restaurant location. Acropolis Museum location and how to walk it.

RIDE FROM THE AIRPORT

So, your ride from the airport will be:

a. Get tickets as described. Validate them and keep them till the end fo the trip. Remember, Athens metro oes not have any turnstiles for aestetic reasons, so you 'll find everywhere these boxes: …matthewgast.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/… to validate your purchased ticket

b. Get the metro line from the airport to Syndagma stop, change ther eto Red line, direction Aghios Dimitrios.

c. Hop off after two stops on "Sygrou / Fix stop". Your hotel is a 300 meters walk.

This is a pretty good metro system. Escalators / elevators are available at least on one side of the road and on every level change. English signs too + phonetic or visual announcements. It can cost 19 euros instead of +60 two taxis will need.

Remember, when you arrive from the airport you 'll use the uptown station, cause it's a shorter distance. For all your downtown trips you can use the Acropolis stop since you 'll not have any luggage with.

So, on Saturday afternoon, i 'd suggest anything for an orientation walk, like visiting Acropolis Museum, walking around Acropolis pedestrian Ring, having a lunch on Plaka, walking around Plaka, even visiting Dionussus Theater which is open till 8pm and just opposite Acropolis Museum. In case you visit this one then, remember this is included in your Acropolis ticket, so when you enter the Theater, purchase a combo ticket to use it next day or the other day form Acropolis.

Keep also in mind that under 19 kids enter for free to all ancient sites and on reduced admission in Acropolis Museum.

SUNDAY MORNING

- Go to the Cermenonual Change. Keep in mind you can access the area right on subway which will get you less than 20 seconds walk from the area of parade. Well, perhaps 40 seconds but you get the meaning.

From there either walk or take the subway to visit Acropolis Museum if this was not visited on Saturday.

SUNDAY? MONDAY?

Remember if you visit the cermonial Change, Acropolis shall be visited Monday morning.

In this case i suggest following this map that also gets you to Agora too:

tinyurl.com/Acropolis-Agora-walk-English

Walk gets you to Acropolis -> Agora -> Flea Market area, I would visit Flea Marhet are on Monday since it's pretty crowded on Sunday.

Edited: 12 June 2010, 11:33
Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two Quick Questions re Taxis in Athens

Thanks Nick you have been most helpful. If you ever come to Australia look me up so I can return the hospitality.