We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you eat?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you eat?

We'll be in AThens for 3 days total and staying near the Acropolis.

We would like some restaurant reccs. for authentic and good Greek food.

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you eat?

You may want to do a search on the forum. You'll find lots of suggestions, maps, info etc.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you eat?

I did a search for restaurants and there were very few and recent suggestions.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you eat?

Filistron in Thissio. Food and views not to be missed.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you eat?

Mitsa gave you a great one..also check out Greek House Atticus on the roof that affords a fab veiw .

Edited: 03 July 2010, 03:57
New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you eat?

Ok, thank you! We just want to try good food that won't make us poor.

If you have any suggestions of "must eats" or food to try in Athens, feel free to suggest.

Again, thanks.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you eat?

For "must eat" items/places:

Ariston -- bakery with handmade Greek "pies" like tyropita and more... these are really good!

Pick from one of many small ouzeri-mezedopouleon and share a variety of the small servings called mezes (appetisers, but you can make a meal of them!). I like Kapni Kareas, between Metropolis and Ermou right by the small church. They make good mezes -- order a pikileas (variety plate) and a bottle of ouzo and spend a few hours there in the afternoon when they usually have a couple guys playing and singing old Rembetika music.

Have a souvalki (the original Greek fast food) -- order the one that comes in a pitta for an inexpensive and filling meal. I am not sure which place is best... but there are some listed on that Google map.

You could visit the Old Taverna Stamatopoulos for decent food, live music and usually some lively Greek dancing. This is kind of a tourist place, but the food is usually good and most people enjoy it!

Ice cream -- there are several good places, but I like Gelatomania in Psiri

To learn about Greek food and the different types of restaurants, you can browse this website:

http://www.greecefoods.com/

Check out some of the restaurants indicated on this map put together by Athens resident and TA DE nick_arch:

http://tinyurl.com/AthensEats-English

Many have all been recommended on this forum, and some have a brief description or ranking. Find a few that will be convenient to your location, and search reviews/ask about them here on the forum.

Happy eating!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you eat?

Top right, next to the forum, in the box titled Top questions about ATHENS, sixth question down: "Food, food, food! What, where, when, how much?"

New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you eat?

Thank you! i appreciate all of the responses and will check them out!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you eat?

LD put my must-eat suggestion first in her excellent post: Purchase some pies from Ariston Bakery and enjoy lunch al fresco near the curtain wall water feature on Syntagma Square. My mouth still waters whenever I think of the amazing mushroom pie.

uk
Level Contributor
31 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you eat?

Take the metro to Monastriaki, still part of Athens, heading south and then make your way to the Plaka, there you will find hundreds of restuarants at all different prices. Have a walk around for half an hour, there are some super settings in the squares, you will probably get pestered to eat at their place, but you cannot go wrong.