We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

My wife and I just got back from 11 days in Greece that included Athens (Bretagne Hotel), Mykonos (Petasos hotel), Naxos (Nissaki Beach hotel) and Santorini (Andronis Hotel).

All went well. Did not get blantly ripped off by any taxi drivers. One incident in Athens but no big deal.

All in all great trip. We luckly missed having to travel on the strike day, by one day so we were not impacted but many were. Things are definitely very slow every where. Talked with many locals and shop owners.

I will write reviews on each place in the appropiate forums but I can be slow to do this so in the meantime if anyone has questions they would like to ask please feel free.

Thanks to all in helping make a great trip. It could not have happened as smoothly with out TA.

Sincerely,

Jason

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

Welcome back jgreemore :)

Wishing the best :)

Now, it's time to sort out the photos, he he he :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

Hey Jason..and welcome back:-) Looking forward to reading the details! Trust you had a blast and totally enjoyed!

Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

Hi Jason:

My husband and I are looking to experience Greece for the first time. is this a good combination of places? We definitely have to see all that Athens has to offer, but we need island time too. Parties? beaches? do you feel you had enough time with only 11 days? how did you travel between the islands? which was your favorite?

Sorry, but you did say we could ask questions :)

thanks!

Edited: 05 July 2010, 21:36
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

Happy to anwser all your questions.

First thing you should know is that this was my second time to Greece and the first time I did the Athens thing. This trip was primarily for the islands.

As for the combo of islands I definitely got the impression that this combo is a popular one. Saw many of the same people on each island.

As for getting around from island to island we flew in from Sacramento Ca to Athens and caught a direct flight to mykonos when we arrived. We took ferries to Naxos and Santorini and flew from Santorini back to Athens for one night (that is actually a very cheap flight). The reason for this is that good times or bad it is not uncommon for the Greek ferries to strike so we built a one day buffer for insurance. Athens is not my favorite big city but is ok for a night. There was a strike while we were on the islands and we missed it by a day on our itenerary.

As for the islands all three have great night life and restaurants. Naxos I felt was definitely more locals going on family vacation.

I was a little nervous about the ferry rides but they were actually great.

Going from Mykonos to Naxos you have to change ferries but that really was no big deal.

Please feel free to email me directly with more questions. I hate to bore everyone with details they are not interested in.

Jason

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

You're certainly not boring anyone Jason:-) Still waiting for the detailed reports..all feedback graciously received and appreciated;-) Enjoyin'!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

Since I started here in this forum I will continue with the review here and copy to appropiate forums as well.

My first stop was in Mykonos. After reseaching TA for months I decided that Platis Gialos area would be best for me. I didn't want to stay in Mykonos Town. I got exactly what I expected. A nice beach area walking distance to two great beaches, great restaurants and a quality hotel. I stayed at the Petasos. We had a great room. Decided to go with the superior room. It is exactly as it shows in the pictures. Can seem a bit small but we had a great view. I was hoping to attach pictures here but can't seem to find where to attach here. I sure I can post them on the review section and I will.

Staff was very friendly and accomodating. The only issue I had with the hotel was that the picture of the infinity pool was closed for repairs. The other pool area is great but I still like the infinity pool. it was very easy to catch the bus into town from this location but we had to take taxi's home as the last bus leaves mykonos town at midnight and we usually weren't ready to leave until 12:30 or 1 am. Taxi ride was 7 euros for two of us, two bus tickets are 3 euros. One of the coolest parts of the PG area is that there were 5 big yachts parked out front. Most of the people from the yachts like to go to psarou beach. We walked there one day and had some sushi on the beach with the beautiful people. The walk up was a little more than I expected but it was good exercise. I would definitely recommend the PG area and I think that Petasos is probably the nicest and most expensive hotel in the area. you get what you pay for though and they offered me a 5% discount.

I will post photos in the hotel review.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

Hi jgreemore: Glad to hear the Petasos worked out well for you; it's unfortunate their infinity pool was closed because it's a much quieter spot than the main pool. We preferred hanging out there ourselves.

Did you dine only at PG-area tavernas or did you have meals anywhere in Mykonos Town, too? Am very keen to hear where you dined and what you thought of the various restaurants, especially since travellers are always asking for recommendations in the forum.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

the first night we got there we probably had our best meal of the trip. It might have been that we were dog tired and sick of airline and airport food, we showed the list of the top three restaurants to the staff at the hotel and they suggested Avli Tou Thodori. It was excellent. I had a fresh fish that was cooked perfectly and they did all the deboning at the table for me and poured an excellent olive oil lemon juice sauce over the top that was great.

The next two nights we had dinner in town, nothing memorable at all. One nght we ate at an italian place but they used some non traditional seasonings that made the marianra sauce seem a bit off.

The last night we decided to stay in PG and tried a restaurant just past the first night. It was only OK. What I learned or was reminded of is eat where the people are. Blue Myth and Avil where always crowded.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

To finalize this post there is not much for me to talk about in Naxos. I liked the island but it was not what I was looking for. My wife and i had a very nice time though.

On to Santorini. Again after reading all the reviews we decide to go with the town of Oia. It could not have been more perfect for us. It was an easy 15 euro taxi drive from our hotel, Andronis Hotel, to fira. I felt this was very similar to Mykonos. We stayed out of the main town and would visit it if we wanted. Oia is absolutely beautiful. Great restauants and shops. Not much nightlife but we weren't looking for that. There probably is not a bad view in the whole area but the view from Andronis is spectacular. I will post pictures and a review of the hotel in the appropiate section.

Thanks again to all for helping me plan a wonderful trip.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, & Santorini

What was the problem with Naxos?