We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

We are stopping in Athens again before leaving Greece. We have already spent a few days there and have visited enough ancient sites and museums. Have also walked all over Syndagma, Plaka, Akropoli and surrounding areas. Visited Kolonaki and randomly took the subway to a few stations(Attiki and another place) to see what was going on, but found only residential areas. Are there other neighborhoods of interest or should we think of some day trips to Glyfada or Sounion? Where do regular residents hang out in the city? Is there a business district?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

Greetings from Athens,

A) Its sales time - so ERMOU STREET (down town Athens ) its an option to spend some time and ''help the poor Greeks'' (by the way any comment on that highly appreciated - how did you see the bankrupt Greeks ).

Also Glyfada area ( take the TRAM from Syntagma square, it ends in Glyfada) also with lots lots of shops.

B) Sounion can a woderful H/D Tour ( not on a weekend ) with an organized tour (KEY - CHAT - GO TOURS ).

C) Maybe also a Full day in Argolis ( Mycenae - Epidaurus ) again with KEY or Chat or GO.

Basically the poor Greeks will hang out at the beaches and waterfront areas - ask a Greek once in Athens.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 07:58
Level Contributor
161 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

Hi. Another option, is to head with the metro to Kiffisia. It's a luxury neighborhood with many villas, nice squares to have a coffee, windows-watching (as all brand locate there). It's a very green area, totally different than the center and also cooler in August, than the over-heated center. If you decide to do so, I also suggest a visit to the close Kefalari square for food or drink!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

Hi there

Have you been to the top of Lycavettos Hill yet?? You can walk up the stepped backstreets to the funicular station and take the ride to the summit for unrivalled views of all Athens from almost one thousand feet. Return funicular ride is 5 or 6 Euros and they run every 30 minutes in either direction. It's usually pleasantly cool up there as you might expect.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

Places where you can see locals:

All along the south coast from Alimos to Vouliagmeni

Around the marinas and bays (Zea, Microlimano, Flisvos etc.)

On the beaches beyond Athens, like Varkiza, Anavissos etc.

Ermou street and other shopping areas - Attica department store, Plateia Kotzia (off Omonia), The Mall Athens, Kallithea, Akadimias, Panepistimiou (check inside the side streets and galleries too)

Plaka, Monastiraki, Psirri and Thissio (particularly Thissio)

In parks and leafy squares in all the residential neighbourhoods - Pedio to Areos, Fokionos Negri, Plateia Kalogiron, Plateia Neas Smyrnis are a few that come to mind

Some of my favourite things to do:

Open air cinemas (Aigli, Cine Paris, Thisseion, Flisvos etc.)

Folk dance performances (Dora Stratou theatre - also open air)

Thissio (not just the tourist trail round the Acropolis, but the side streets where all the hidden gems are)

Dinner, drinks and walk in Plaka and Anafiotika (if it's full of tourists when you're there, that's because you're there too early - the Greeks have dinner late in summer, often after 11 PM)

Asteras Glyfadas complex (line of cafes, restaurants, swimming pools, beach bars all arranged around a bay - open from early in the morning to late at night) - Balux Cafe and the House Project are my faves

Varkiza for beach life (not on Sunday, it's packed with Athenians)

Kefalari in Kifissia for the shops and buzz

If you've not done it already, Mount Lycabettus is a touristy must.

My favourite residential area is Argyroupoli, especially the area around Plateia Iroon Polytechneiou at the end of Leoforos Geroulanou - lots of great restaurants and bars, and possibly the best souvlaki too. Also Plateia Kalogiron in Dafni. I hesitate to add Fokionos Negri (very inner city but gorgeous) because it's a long time since I've been there. Maybe one of the locals can comment on it, also Exarcheia.

Have a look at this thread too (from post #6 onwards) for some ideas and links to albums with photos: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k3821…

If you see anything you like, let us know and we can tell you how to get there.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 09:58
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

Why dont you try the island of Poros just 1 hour by Hydrofoil, or 2 and a half hours by ferry?

You can go in the morning and come back in the early evening.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

I think Tinsey said it all and I agree with her suggestions. Out of them I would pick

-South Coast from Flisvos to Vouliagmeni, especially Glyfada for shopping, dining and the Asteras complex (Balux, Akanthus, etc)

-I also suggest a very nice place called Trokantero near the Averof museum, at the marina of Faliro, with a wonderful promenade, cafes and restaurants, all newly made since the Olympics. For the exact location have a look at the link below:

-Kefalari and Kifissia.

-Open air cinemas, all the ones Tinsey mentioned are great, especially Cine Paris in Plaka .

I think these should be enough for 2 days:) Have a great time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

>>I also suggest a very nice place called Trokantero near the Averof museum, at the marina of Faliro, with a wonderful promenade, cafes and restaurants, all newly made since the Olympics.<<

If this is where you mean, this is Flisvos marina and I agree, it's great: http://tinyurl.com/2dzqlj7

Katakolo, Greece
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

I would take the one day cruise visiting 3 different islands near Athens, Hydra-Poros-Aegina. These islands are so charming. You can check additional details here http://bit.ly/9kBKyk

Another suggestion if you stay in Athens is to take the Sightseeing bus

If you want to stay in Athens and not to waste to much energy I suggest you a great cafe of the numismatic museum located in Panepistimiou street, ni downtown Athens (next to PAUL bakery, which could be a nice stop as well!) This cafe is in a great gardin, just behind the museum. A top secret of Athenians bohems..

I hope that you will be inspired by these 3 tips..enjoy Athens

9. Re: Suggestions for last two days in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 05:34