We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roast Lamb near Plaka

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
346 reviews
Save Topic
Roast Lamb near Plaka

I have been reviewing my previous posts to find suggestions about where to eat roast lamb in Plaka or someplace that is accessible at a taverna. We do not need a 4* exp.- just solid cooking with generous servings. I know there are some places in the market that do, and likely some upscale places but is there one place that stands out? I read on Matt Barretts website about Vari "famous for it's collection of psistarias which serve roast suckling pig, roast lamb, roast goat, kokoretsi, paidakia all cooked over hot coals." I am not sure how easy it is to get there or if I can have the same exp. closer to central Athens. In my quest today I spotted an article in the NY Times archive "THE TOURIST IN ATHENS.; EATING ROAST LAMB" that appears with the date 05 June 1880- but it is rather dated. Is there any place "close" that specializes in roast lamb - oven baked or over over coals as long as it is slow roasted.

query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html…

athens
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Roast Lamb near Plaka

hallo there boys !

athens
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roast Lamb near Plaka

sorry...

anyway,

there is a very good psistaria (spit roast store)-but it is ONLY take-away with low prices-situated 500 meters west of the ktel terminal station at liossion str.

the store is at "tris gefires"(three bridges) area...

but,as you said,it will be difficult for you to go there although the store is right across a bus stop with many bus routes and frequent service...

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roast Lamb near Plaka

About the Vari thing. It's quite something. I've only eaten there once and I'll be honest, it didn't blow my socks off or anything, it was fine but not something to make the trip for. It's a bit cheesy as well - there are guys dressed up in traditional Vlach outfits trying to herd cars into the various restaurants with their shepherd crooks. If you're already in Vari or on that road then I would definitely stop just for the kitsch factor but I wouldn't go all the way there just for a meal.

I can't help with finding good roast lamb at this time of year (I assume now is when you want it?) as lamb is mostly eaten around Easter when most lambs are in existence (they all tend to be born around the same time).

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roast Lamb near Plaka

Totally what Xaroula said. Vari is near Varkiza, the easternmost seaside suburb of Athens. It's a bit of a pain getting there unless you have a car and I doubt the experience will amaze you, unless you're into kitsch and you really, really must have lamb on the spit.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roast Lamb near Plaka

There are so many restaurants in the Plaka and Monastiraki area. You can wander the streets and if someplace looks interesting, ask to see the menu for prices. We ate at a great location that did the roasted lamb and pork, but I couldn't tell you what street it was on. Just walk through the area and pick a place that has the atmosphere that you want. Plenty of the restaurants have the meat roasting on the spit and you can see this before you go inside or sit at a table.

6. Re: Roast Lamb near Plaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 07:48