We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halal Greek Food

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
27 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Halal Greek Food

Hi:

I am a Muslim traveller and so I stick to halal meat (chicken, beef or lamb but no pork). Everyone seems to rave about Souvlakis and I'd like to try a halal one.

Any suggestions for halal Greek food?

Which is the cheapest supermarket for food souvenirs for the extended family?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halal Greek Food

Well. . .you just have to avoid pork. That's it :)

Regarding souvlaki ( and gyros ), you also have chicken option. Both come in chicken too and many people go for it due to lower fat anyway.

Please do remember, that usually, "souvlaki" is a skewer, while "gyros" is small chunks of meat. "Pitta" with souvlaki or guros is accordingly a pitta bread with different type of meat.

Difference of souvlaki and gyros is way of cooking. Souvlaki is grilled on an open grill, while gyros is big layers of meat grilled on a vertical rotisserie.

Both ( guros and souvlaki ) can come in chicken too, both can be served either on a plate with sauce and vegetables ( "merida" ) or wrapped in a pitta bread.

So, basically you have 8 variations, 4 of them being chicken :)

------------------------------------

Not all Greek recipes come with meat, neither all of meat recipes come with pork.

So, many recipes may be vegetables only, some may have vegetables with meat, some may have minced meat inside. All kinds of emat may be used, chicken, lamb OR pork.

Keeap also in mind that a typical way Greeks are eating is order more appetizers and share them. That means that you can simply ommit any plate you may not want to eat, even eat no meat at all. Many are the times we just order many appetizers and no main plates. It's not a thing to be made in a 5* restaurant, but anyway, the majority of place we eat in are simple establishments where sharing is more than acceptable and expected.

------------------------

How to avoid pork:

Ask.

For some plates it is profound no meat is in there. Keep in mind that we eat meat but many plates simply have no meat in.

For some plates, meat may be included, usually description is available in the menu.

You 'll just have to tell the waiter if you want "no pork please" and he will understand. Name of pork in Greek is "hee-ree-no".

A tyoe of plates to double ask is those incuding minced meat. Minced meat may include many types of meat and it is simply not possible to understand, so you 'll have to ask. Two popular plates with minced meat i can think of are:

- moussakas. Layers of aubergine, potatoes, miced meat. Typical and popular plate. Mayinclude pork and it is not easy to know if. So, you 'll have to ask before ordering.

- Spaghetti Bolognaise. Typical Italian plate. You 'll not find it in Greek restaurants, still you may visit an Italian. Sometimes pork is added in mince meat mix.

- "Lachmantzun". A thin pitta with minced meat and spies in. Not typical Greek plate but a popular in souvlaki places. Pork may be included.

-------------------------

You may want to read a bit about Greek food and Greek eating. It's a great cuisine, nice customs and many plates for all, not always meat anyway :) So, it's pretty easy for someone not eating a certain food for medical, religious or personal reasons, to simply not eat it :) Options are many.

Here are some links you may want to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_cuisine

http://www.greecefoods.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halal Greek Food

I've never seen halal meat (souvlaki, gyros or any kind) advertised in a Greek restaurant, certainly not in the tourist areas. There are supermarkets selling halal meat in the ethnic areas near Omonia, Psiri etc. but that's meat to cook at home. Maybe there are restaurants too, but I'd be surprised if they serve souvlaki.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halal Greek Food

Speaking specifically about halal food, meaning both type of meat BUT also acceptable method of slaughtering, i am also not sure of this one.

So, indeed if this is a question about "no pork", you certainly have choices.

Nevertheless: if method of slaughtering is also a prerequisite, i really don't know for sure. I am pretty sure though that some conflicts regarding "Dhabiḥa" *may* exist in the whole processing in most restaurants, either here or in rest of Europe.

Edited: 09 October 2010, 11:16
Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
27 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halal Greek Food

Thanks Nick for your very detailed answer :)

Zabiha or halal includes the method of slaughtering. I do not know about Greece but from living in US I know that animals are electrocuted and not slaughtered in corporate farms, which isnt Halal. btw Chicken is also slaughtered so its halal only then.

Looks like I wont be able to enjoy Souvlakis :( unless ofcourse there is a Kosher place serving them since Muslims can eat Kosher which is also slaughtered.

Tinsey when I googled halal food in Greece all I got was some Pakistani grocery store selling halal meat.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halal Greek Food

Did you try googling kosher meat?? There are probably far more Jewish than Muslim tourists to Greece, so I'm just guessing, there may be more provision for kosher-prepared meats. Just try...

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
27 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halal Greek Food

Googling gives the address of some synagogue which is a tad unnerving given that all I seek is a souvlaki and I'd rather pass on some holy ritual that accompanies it. :)

7. Re: Halal Greek Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 06:20