We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

Oregon
Level Contributor
386 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

Greetings,

My return flight leaves Athens at 5:00 AM! I read that the Metro doesn't start running until 5:30 a.m.Our accommodations in the Acropolis area will probably be a "vacation rental" found here on TA, and as such don't know about the availability of a shuttle (this is in mid-September next year).

Total time of 7 nights in Athens, so I think that will be time enough to visit the sights. Should I cut that time short (6 nights in historic Athens) and spend the last night out by the airport? Any recommendations on airport transfers at that ungodly hour, or a place to stay by the airport? Thanks for any advice on this.

George's Taxi
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
PK Travel
Bus Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
H.P. Tours - Hellenic Private Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

I hope that you got a Terrific price on your ticket for that horrendous take-off time (in fact, I suspect your flight is free, booked on "points" -- that's usually why people put upwith those awful departures). You have 4 choices:

(1) if staying anywhere near Syntagma square, resign yourself to an Early Night (ie., go to bed by 9 pm), get up at 2 am, walk to the top of the Square where the X 95 bus leaves every 30 mins, 24/7. Costs €3.2 per person. That time of nite it takes 45 mins max to reach airport, you'll be in line by 3:15.

(2) Take a taxi; fare is not quite double the daytime fare of €40+ ... but a bit more for pre-booking; askyour hotel clerk. Here's the official fares table: www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageid=988&langid=2

(3) The ONLY hotel at the airport is Sofitel, costing upwards of €200. but there are 2 places about 10 minutes away. They both include breakfast that you'll be too early to use (but maybe they'll pack you a '"snack pack" for the airport!). Neiher will take u to airport at 3 am but taxi will be €15-20.

• the St. THomas B & B, with this misleading weblink -- http://www.stay-in-athens.com/ Costs €100 per double, but it's in an olive grove, with a pool

• Peris hotel, about 70-80€ -- No pool, cute but no-frills; However, they provide free shuttle up until 23:30 (11:30 pm). So u can dinner in town, Metro or x95 bus to airport & get picked up by Peris.

(4) Possibly, the HOliday Inn Attiki Avenue. It's about 1/2 way to airport. Maybe you can get a room at €100 in sept. Advertises free shuttle to airport but I don't know if it runs that early;you'd have to check carefully.

London, UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

Great range of practical suggestions from Jan! I have one more. If you're a night owl, stay up and enjoy a meal, a show, a few hours in a rembetika club, whatever your taste, and leave for the airport at 2, and sleep on the plane.

If it were my call, being a lark not a night owl, I'd probably go for option (1) - early to bed, up at 2, and to the airport on the bus, and not spend the money I'd saved on the flight on another hotel or a taxi.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

Hey and welcome ForReality:-) Would certainly check with the folks at your rental..am sure they can make arrangements for you for an early transfer or arrange for a cab! Bottom line and IMO, a move doesn't make sense to what would amount to hours basically since you'd have to be out in the middle of the night anyway! I'd save myself the hassles of packing/chaging properties for only 1 night and arrange for a cab! FWIW, the Holiday Inn is actually about 10 min from the airport and about 25-30 min from the City center..pretty much in the middle of nowhere..only one I would personally consider is the Sofitel but again, not worth the cost or hassle when you can just arrange for a cab and be done with it;-) Have fun..and EnjoY!

Athens, Greece
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

The cabs would be way costly

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

Taxi rates are now becoming more "official" and enforced... particularly if the rider is informed. The official rates link which I listed, gives the approximate night-time (12-5) cost from central athens to airport at 61€... supposed to include taxes/tolls. However, in addition, there is the charge for pre-booking. -- this can be between €5-10, more usually the latter. Daytime rate if you flag a taxi on the street, is now about €40,

6. Re: Metro/transportation to Athens airport for EARLY flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 06:19