We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

Just curious about how cold it gets in Athens midwinter? I will be visiting there end of January and I am not sure what to pack... there is a very limited baggage allowance so i have to be strategic about it...

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
4-Day Classical Greece Tour...
401 Reviews
from US$632.30*
Hydra, Poros and Egina Day Cruise...
824 Reviews
from US$119.30*
Special Offer
Delphi Day Trip from Athens
1,008 Reviews
from US$87.18*
US$103.80
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,522 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

Just think layers! It's quite normal for me to wear a t-shirt, a cardigan, sweater or fleece, plus a jacket or coat & put them on/take them off as needed!

The temp can vary quite a bit, if you catch the halcyon days it could be 20C (68F) for a few hours during the day, but also could only be in the 40's(F). The evenings/nights will definitely be colder though.

Edited: 17 December 2010, 23:18
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

It has been known to even snow, but this of course is very rare.

Take at least warm underwear. Jeans will be fine, a pullover and a jacket/ coat on the top. Perhaps gloves.

I believe New York has similar climate than Athens, ie. damp.

The Thissio metro station is open now, and to get there by metro from the airport would be a good solution, cost wise.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
London, UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

There's no telling. I've spent time in Athens during January for several years. Once, it was cold and grey and wet almost all the time, and I wore all my layers all the time. On at least two other occasions I coincided with the halcyon days (halkionis meres) and was basking in the sun in a short sleeved t-shirt, with all my layers and my fleece stuffed into my rucksack. So layers are a good idea - and so is a rucksack to carry them when you don't want to be wearing them, because whatever it's like during the day it will be cold in the morning and in the evening. But you are accustomed to New York cold (so am I: it's where I grew up) and you'll never be as cold in Athens as it's possible to be in New York. Snow is extremely rare, as are temperatures below 0.

(Morocco: Athens winter weather is not like New York winter weather. It's nearly always cold, much colder than Athens; and there are no halcyon days.)

Edited: 18 December 2010, 08:07
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

Coming from New York you 'll generally find the weather slightly warmer.

Snow is indeed an extreme rarity, 2 - 3 days every 2 - yrs.

Layers is what i 'd suggest too. It's impossible to say what the weather pattern will be this year.

Getting some feedback also some days prior your departure is a good way to make some last minute decisions.

Start of the week we were freezing with temperatures around freezing point and rain;

today, it's a sunny mild warm day, around 18C - 65F and it's impossible to go out without sunglasses.

So, do some basic preparations and get a through forecast 10 days and again 3 days before your departure. It's a quickly changing weather. Typically January and February *should* be cold, 6 - 7 days of rain per month, rare snow, around 6 - 12C, 42 - 55F. Nevertheless it may be colder or even significantly warmer.

Edited: 18 December 2010, 08:32
Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

Thank you very much!!!

6. Re: January/February weather in Athens... how cold does it get?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2011, 05:24