We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for trip around Greece

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Planning for trip around Greece

Hello - I have previously sought your advice regarding my May holiday to Greece. Clear;ly I had planned to pack too much into my 11 days there and a key message has been to do much less and have a far more enjoyable experience. THat is exactly what I will do. I suppose the issue is that Greece is such a long wasy from New Zealand and there is this worry that I will get all the way over there and not see the really important thngs - but the reality is that I cannot do everything.

Anyway - I was trying to anticipate where I would be on any given day while in Greece so that I could pre-book accommodation at really good rates and was doing quite well with doing that thrugh bookings.com. But now I am thinking that perhaps I should not pre-plan a lot of stuff and just have a general idea of what I want to do and essentially wing it when I get there. I will be in Greece frm the 30th of April to the 11th - possible the 13th of May.

I will be staying in Athens for a few days and then look to move out into other parts without incurring huge travel - going to places like Nafplio, Delphi and perhaps one of the Islands. I would love to get to Meteora but this may not be dooable.

So the questions for you helpful people are:

1. Do you think that it is sensible to try and pre-book accommodation or is this largelt unecessary at this time of year.

2. Is this time of year a busy tme for tourism or am I likely ti have no problem getting accommodation at sensible prices.

3. I guess the opposite to all of this is - do you think that it is sensible to just turn up and arrange accommodation on the fly. I am thinking that I could at least pre-book the Athens accommodation - at least for a couple of days anyway and extend as required.

Richard

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,832 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for trip around Greece

I understand the dilemma.

Still, i sincerely think you are on pretty much a "good" road, deciding to do less and do them better :)

Not really sure though i 'd wing it when here.

Reasons:

Planning a trip in Greece is overwhelming ( and it really is, since most people understand that this is a tiny spot in the geographical map with a huge size though in cultural size and diversity of things to see and do ). Nevertheless, being n Athens and trying to decide what you wanna do is more overwheliming :) So, it may be even more difficult to decide what you want to do here.

It may seem peculiar, still, planning over the Internet is sometimes easier than planning on site. You can price - compare, you can check all resources, you do it in a familiar place ( lol, your home office, or kitchen table, or office desk, or even your living room couch ), so you have the luxury of time to do it, and perhaps plan more things and more effectively. Remember, you wanna get away and not really spend your time here seeing what the next pace will be about.

Of course: this is an opinion of an over-planner; i seem like a cool person, still reality is i am over - anxious ( lol ) and check many details as more as this can go. How will i go where i want, what to see etc. This ( planning the details ) may not work for other people but really works fine for me :) Remember forum is full fo people that know places well and can help :)

So, my suggestion is this:

1. if you don't want to make an excruciatingly detailed plan, do some kind of a "core - itinerary", including what you want to see around the country. This will help you get the details ( for example, check before hand how you wanna go to Delphi. Tour? Bus? ). Pick the places or towns really Google and wikipedia is full of resources ) and make a draft plan regarding how you 'll go there and the "big letter" details.

2. I 'd really book my Athens accomodation. It's a huge place, sprawling metropolis. You really *want to* pick the place you want, pick the price ( really www.booking.com or www.venere.com have all the good places and you can book, cancel, rebook, play around all you want - check cancellation policies before booking, 90% of prices in there are fully refundable ). So, really, book where you 'll stay in Athens to know where you are going this first day. It's a good idea to grab the price you want and go for it at least for Athens.

3. Make a plan for Athens! We really do our best. Athens is complex, so panning ahead is a time - saver and experience - booster :) Check this: http://tinyurl.com/AthensAttractions-English and this tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189400-c115233/Athen…

4. If you like technology, getting a Google map and some links in your mobile makes a handy tool to find what you want, on the go. I live here for more than 20yrs, and sometimes i have to google something myself :)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,041 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for trip around Greece

Hi Richard,

In my view you are doing the most sensible thing. 11 days isn't much when you set out to explore Greece.

1. I find it unnecessary if you don't have special demands for what kind of hotel (class, location etc.) you are looking for. It can be wise to prebook your Athens hotel to get in a location that is close to the main sites and attractions.

2. Peak season in Greece is July and August. You will find sensible prices all around.

3. Answered above.

Happy planning !

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for trip around Greece

Do some research before hand, have a sort list of places you may want to stay ( choose wisely location wise, very important in a limited timeframe),then you may head there uppon arrival. Other good option for peace of mind and saving valuable time is when deciding to visit X place, call a day in advance and book a hotel.

I agree with Nich and g-t that it's advisable to prebook your Athens hotel though.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning for trip around Greece

Like they said ...

I have always gone in May and (except for Athens) would not book way ahead these days except for the fact that I'm taking along 3-4 other people who aren't secure unless they have everything nailed down tight.

As said above, have a little map of each destination (so easy with Internet! or get a copy of ROUGH GUIDE or simllar, and photocopy)... make a little list of hotels in the area you want --- you can do this by going on the TA Forum front page, and using that menu that say "go to the specific area" i.e. Nafplio, Then in the search slot putting "Budget hotel Nafplio" and PRESTO! a whole bunch of threads will pop up with suggestions. Then has Mariha says, call a day or 2 in advance; use hotel phone or cell phone. In May, you'll have no problem, AND you'll get some good prices -- hoteliers with rooms will think "A bird in the hand, worth 2 in the bush." If they say 50, you'll say, oh, that's more than I can pay... then see what happens.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 22:35
5. Re: Planning for trip around Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 05:19