We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Strike

Middle England
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
General Strike

I believe there is a general strike in Greece on Thursday 10th Feb.

I take it that this will effect Athens Airport ?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,185 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Strike

A general strike has been called, but it's far too early to know who will take part, & what hours, if it does go ahead.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
633 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Strike

This date is right when we are set to arrive in Athens, but if I understand correctly, if there is a strike it usually does not happen with all three forms of transport at once leaving people completely stranded? In otherwords, we should have access to at least 1 of these 3 (even in the event of a strike) to get us from the airport to the hote and backl, correct?

Also, just to confirm the information that I have read, if we have to take a taxi (if it is the only option), it should be a set price, starting in February, of 35 Euro, correct?

Thanks for any help!

PS: When a strike is called does it usually last days.....or just like 24 hours or something?

Edited: 20 January 2011, 15:42
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
633 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Strike

Just to clarify, since I was rambling LOL! By 3 I meant, bus, taxi, and metro. (At least one should run even in a strike, correct?)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General Strike

>This date is right when we are set to arrive in Athens<

well let's hope that you will manage to arrive in Athens cause if the air traffic controllers join the strike (sometimes they do ,sometimes they don't) you won't be able to arrive in the first place....:(

metro and buses will most likely NOT be running,taxis never join the strike (they are not driven by public servants...:) )

and a word of advice to future travelers to Greece:

if possible don't arrange an arrival within the week it is better to schedule your in & out of Greece flights from Friday-Sunday ,the local syndicates NEVER strike on these days (they always strike on weekdays)

Edited: 20 January 2011, 16:54
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
633 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Strike

Super!!! This just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :(

So WHEN I get there..... Back to my original question, worst case, I should have to pay for a taxi then.......which should be the fixed 35 Euro fee now, correct?

Edited: 20 January 2011, 17:47
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: General Strike

Υes,there will be a long line but you will pay the fixed price.

I have some good news for you also,the air traffic controllers were planning a strike for this Friday but it was declared illegal by the Greek justice and I think that this pattern will continue for the whole year (when a strike is declared illegal the unions can't strike)

Edited: 20 January 2011, 18:19
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,485 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General Strike

If there is a long line, you may be able to share with others going to the same area. In such a situation, in fairness to the driver, each passenger pays the full fare.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 21:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: General Strike

>>If there is a long line, you may be able to share with others going to the same area. In such a situation, in fairness to the driver, each passenger pays the full fare.<<

Although this is (used to be?) a common practice, it is actually illegal in Greece and heavily frowned upon by the police. If you share with another couple, you should agree to do so before reaching the taxi stand and share the cost between you.

In any case, a long wait shouldn't be a problem. I was in Athens during the last general strike and had no trouble getting taxis - it should be even easier at the airport as there are usually hundreds of taxis waiting to pick up passengers.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
633 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General Strike

Thanks guys! At least I know my flight should be OK (as long as the weather here cooperates too LOL!). And I can catch a cab.....Ah well all is fair in love and travel! Just adds exsiting stories you can tell your kids!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: General Strike

if i am travelling alone and need to take a taxi at the airport to pireus, i always try to share with someone. otherwise the journey is expensive for one person.