We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

afraid of heights -- acropolis

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
204 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
afraid of heights -- acropolis

I am afraid of heights but am planning on visiting the Acropolis on my trip in April. I'm not afraid once I get to the top (as long as I stay away from the edge), just climbing up. Are the stairs going to the top very steep or are they gradual? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,886 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

The steps are high, but manageable; and there are handrails. And there will be so many other people climbing with you that you won't notice or see anything but your feet. At the top the edges will definitely be a challenge to your vertigo, so just stay clear of them.

You might be able to manage the observation point, where the Greek flag flies: there's a good, high railing, and it would be a pity to miss the wonderful views of Athens.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 21:35
Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
204 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

Thank you Alabastron -- the rails will help as will the people. As long as I have people behind me kind of pushing me to keep going I'll be ok. I'll just look at the steps -- not at the surrounding area while going up. I'll enjoy the view & things I missed on the way down. Isn't it weird that I'm afraid to go up but am fine descending.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

Don't worry Ariz ... and don't think of it as some narrow tall thing ... such as the Eiffel Tower. More like a Mesa, yes high, but a big flat place up there.

Illinois
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

i agee with the others. have taken groups there before and there has never been a problem. my climbers have been age 6 to 66. i can't really compare the climb to any thing. you are sort of pushed along by the crowd. you spend more time watching your footing than anything else. shouldn't be any problem unless you stop and turn around and stand there gazing all around.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,886 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

"shouldn't be any problem unless you stop and turn around and stand there gazing all around."

...and then the problem is more likely to be that you'll get pushed over and trampled on! :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

The steps are VERY gradual,and HUGE,it is just like climbing a hill (do you have trouble when climbing a hill?).

There is no steep incline and once you get on top of the hill you will have to deal w/ a HUGE plateau,you won't even be able to look down unless you go right at the edge of where the flag is.

I am also afraid of heights & never had a problem w/ Acropolis.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

You can save a lot of steps (about 100) if you enter from the southeast entrance, near the Acropoli metro stop, which places you higher up before you even start your climb, plus it has gradual slopes and handrails for the few steps there.

However, when you get near the top, where all entrances converge, there are no handrails (the Propylaea area) unless they have been added in the past two years. Please confirm (or deny!) this, Athens DE's. Once through this bottleneck, everyone spreads out, and you will not have any problem. So in 20 minutes of gradual walking, you only will have a few minutes of crowded steps; but with the crowds, you will not see much there except the steps!

Edited: 11 February 2011, 16:23
Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
204 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

Thank you everyone for your responses. I won't worry about it now!!!!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

I am afraid of heights and I don't like edges but I never, ever had a problem on the Acropolis.

No, Cinti, I don't remember seeing any rails near the top, unless they have added them very recently. Due to a combo of various reasons, I haven't been up there since April 2010. :-(

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,886 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: afraid of heights -- acropolis

There are rails on the section of steps that approaches and goes up through the Propylea.