We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
595 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

OK – so I finally got a chance to sit down a write up a trip report to let you all know my trip to Athens, Greece was GREAT!!! We were there February 11th-18th and we could not have asked for more perfect weather. Was nice everyday and we never even wore a coat! 55-65 most days (for us this is pretty warm being from Michigan…seemed like a lot of other were in coats…but we were good in a long sleeve shirt and some days I was putting on short sleeves).

I want to thank all the tripadvisor helpers out there that answered my endless questions….but it really paid off. I didn’t feel like I got lost at all, and was able to hit the ground running and knew what I was doing (at least somewhat) most of the time. I also want to preface this by saying….please don’t fault me for my spelling on some of these names/locations!!! Greek is very hard! LOL!

Here is a brief overview of our hotels:

Stayed 6 nights at the Amazon Hotel, and 2 nights at the Airotel Parthenon – I wrote extensive reviews of both these hotels you can read separately in their proper section, but to sum it up…I would stay at either of these hotels again.

Highlights of what we were able to accomplish on our trip are (many of these thanks to specific recommendations from fellow tripadvisor writers):

We did the Acropolis, Parthenon, New Acropolis Museum (Airotel Parthenon Hotel right by these), Agora & Tower of the Winds (went to both Greek & Roman Forums…there were two separated by a short distance), Tomb of the Unknown Soldier including the Ceremonial Changing of the Guard, Plaka, Fillopoppos Hill including Prison of Socrates (AWESOME views of the Acropolis from the top of this hill!), Lykavittos Hill, Also great views of the city and a nice church and restaurant (had a great salad/sandwich lunch in the restaurant taking in the tremendous views out the floor to ceiling windows right by our table), National Archeology Museum, Beneki Museum, Hadryan’s Library, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Monastiraki Area, the Sunday Flea Market (actually showed up there by mistake during that day…..WOWWEE, BUSY!), Kerameikos, 10 or so of the major churches (including all the biggies), including an inside visit and couple candle lightings, War Museum, National Gardens (only caught one corner of this), Syntagma Square (Amazon Hotel right by this), Shopped Ermou Street at least three times.

Outside the City we went to Delphi one day and stopped in the village…can’t remember the name…in the mountains by Delphi. Also did an afternoon outside the city to Cape Sounion, Also did a day trip that included Argolis, Corinth, Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth Mycenae, Naflpio, Epidavros,

During this trip we used pretty much all the forms of transportation, tour buses, private driver/car, metro….and found them all to be really easy with a little bit of preparing before hand. We ate at some great places….and some not so good places. I found that we could get a pretty good meal for the two of us for about 27 Euros or so total – I found that the couple restaurants we ate in that we paid more than this (like 40-50 Euros, the food was awful…so stay with the cheaper to mid priced places). And we even found ourselves in McDonald’s and Everest (mmmmm…cheese pie) a few times for quick bites to eat. Even ended up at the Hard Rock Café for dinner on Valentines Day!

I had Suvlaki a couple times and it was good every time, had pork chops grilled that were really good, Saganaki was great the first time I had it…the other time we tried it…not so good. Word of warning…husband ordered meatballs and a hamburger at two different places…and both were more like mini little meat loafs…tasty, but not what we think of as hamburger or meatballs. I can saw that out of all the places I have traveled I struggled in Greece the most with food…seemed like it was either really good or not good at all and we had about a 50/50 record (I actually sent food back at least 3 times because I just couldn’t eat it).

I would recommend ANY and all of the things we did…I really felt like we got to see so much in our 7 ½ days in Greece…and all of it was worth the time and money spent. Would HIGHLY recommend buying the multi-ticket you can get for 12 Euros….It gets you into the Acropolis and many of these other places all for one price…and is good for use over several days time. Would not recommend buying multi-day passes for the metro….we actually only used it like five single trips times to cover all that we saw…everything is pretty much on foot – and with all the strikes you just never know if you are even going to be able to use it.. Would recommend the metro from the airport to the city center…was REALLY easy and cheap at only like 16 Euros for two people….Also the taxi isn’t bad (we did this for our trip in the morning back to the airport just to save some time), set 35 Euro rate applied – I just specified this up front with the driver before we got in (so he knew, that I knew…and didn’t try to charge more). Would recommend to shop around a bit in different areas before buying items…things can vary in price by 50% or more…so save your souvenir buying for the last couple days after you have seen things a few times in a few different places. This can really save you some dough.

YES there are protests!!! We saw 2 ourselves…just use some common sense…never felt unsafe…just made sure to keep our money in a safety pouch in our shirt and pay attention to what was around us and not be somewhere that didn’t “feel” right. We were on the streets on foot all day and in the evening and I never had a bad experience. Looking like you know what you are doing, don’t flash cash or expensive items around, and keep a hand on your wallet at all times or put it where it can’t easily be gotten too…..and it’s all pretty good from there.

Hope this helps someone else going soon! PS: Be prepared…I SWEAR everything in Greece is uphill…BOTH WAYS!!! LOL! Great for buns of steel after a week’s walking! Enjoy!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,834 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Hi wemjam,

and thanks for returning with a great report. It seems you had a good time - thanks for sharing !

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Hey wemjam, welcome back!

Glad to hear you had such a good time in Greece, and so pleased that you were there during the "Halcyon days" because the weather took a turn for the worse around 20th February - you would have had a very different experience if you'd visited just a week later.

As for dining out, I always say, the cheaper the better. I don't think I've paid more than 15€ pp in years, any place that costs 40€ or more for a meal for two people is either fantastic or pretentious (and therefore suspect in my book).

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Nice to hear that you have enjoyed your trip in Greece,and yes you had a lot of good luck,weather is really bad in the last week and it's going to geto worst with snow and low temperatures this coming week.

You've seen a lot,much more is to discover,next time maybe.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Welcome back wemjam:-) What a terrific review;-) Really liked the part about the 'meatballs and hamburgers'..you gave me a good laugh there..and yeah..totally different from what you'd expect coming from the States..definitely more like our meatloaf;-)) See you got to Everest..pretty good for fast food I agree!! Glad to hear both hotels worked out for you as well ..glad the whole trip worked out for you;o) Fabulous share..thanks for taking the time to write it out..totally enjoyed it..but more important..YOU guys enjoyed!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Fabulous trip report; your extensive preparation/research really paid off. Also so glad to hear you had excellent weather; you just never know this time of year!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

what a great report! glad you had a blast...a bit surprised, as I guess I have been lucky, l rarely have a bad meal in Greece, but agree with Tinsey (HI T!),

simple is always more reliable than chic'!.. Really enjoyed your report!

glad you had fun!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Great report :)

It seems to me this was a very sucessful trip :))

Cheers!

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Wemjam,

Thanks for great report! Looks like you dodged the weather! I cut these statements out of your report-we will not have as much time in Athens and not sure we can do both hills.

"Fillopoppos Hill including Prison of Socrates (AWESOME views of the Acropolis from the top of this hill!), Lykavittos Hill, Also great views of the city and a nice church and restaurant (had a great salad/sandwich lunch in the restaurant taking in the tremendous views out the floor to ceiling windows right by our table),"

If you had to pick one-which one?

Thanks-Casa

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
595 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

Ok, this is a tough one.....it depends on what you like better. Lykavittos Hill was nice because of the restaurant and views of the city. And the little church was really pretty inside. I would recommend this if you want to be able to have some nice views and a nice lunch - but the hill is much more straight up and not as nice of a relaxing "park" style walk in my opionion.

Fillopoppos Hill is a much nicer walk and green space (for Lykavittos Hill you walk streets about 1/2 way up, and then there is paths and such that take you the rest of the way, but we took the cable car up instead - just getting up the street 1/2 way was exhausting!). Fillopoppos Hll has way better views of the Acropolis etc. and Socrates prision to see (plus our guidebook listed a few other things there that can be seen, we just get to them). So for easier walking in a nice park environment I would pick Fillopoppos Hill. Also Fillopoppos Hill basically starts out on the pedistrian street that runs along the bottom of the Acropolis...where theres nice little restaurants and shopping.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
595 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report...Just Returned from AWESOME Greece/Athens!

PS: The entrance to Fillopoppos Hill is much closer to a metro stop than Lykavittos Hill as well. The entrance we went in (there is probably more than one) to Fillopoppos Hill is just a very short walk from the Acropolis Metro stop...down the little pedistrain walk road I mentioned...plus you get to view the Acropolis, etc. on the way there.. For Lykavittos Hill, the closest metro stop is by the War Museum (can't remember the name of it now)....and then it was a along up hill walk from there.