We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainland Itinerary

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delhi
Level Contributor
296 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Mainland Itinerary

Hi to all.

My Husband &i r travelling to Greece in beginning June for 12 days. I'm planning about 3-4 days in Athens,2&1/2 days in Santorini + the journey time to & fro from Athens. I believe the high speed ferries reach u there in 5hrs. I'll have about 3 days for a mainland trip. There r so many places to choose from that its hard to pick.

I'm thinking Nafplio with Mycenea & Epidavros or Delphi with Meteora . Is it possible to do it comfortably in two days ?

Can Nafplio including Mycenae & Epidavros be combined with Meteora instead of Delphi ?

I know that Nafplio is 2hrs away from Athens & i think Delphi is 3 hrs.away from Athens. How far is Meteora from Athens ?

As this is our first trip to Greece i want to do as much as we can without tiring ourselves out.

Thanks travelbug Delhi

1. Re: Mainland Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 19:05
Edited: 22 March 2011, 19:05
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainland Itinerary

I'm always baffled when I see Greek roads referred to as dangerous. Unless the roads are badly potholed or breaking up at the edges (which the road to Meteora isn't), you can't call them dangerous.Drive with common sense and care and you won't have a problem.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mainland Itinerary

The road from Athens to Meteora is certainly dangerous if you attempt to do the run in 4.5 hours! I'd say 5.5-6 hours is more sensible and more realistic.

You can do Nafplio with Mycenae & Epidavros in 2-3 days OR Delphi & Meteora. You cannot sensibly combine Nafplio / Mycenae / Epidavros with either Delphi or Meteora within your time frame, so choose one or the other.

Nafplio will be a much more comfortable journey, less driving, better roads.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 11:28
4. Re: Mainland Itinerary

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

5. Re: Mainland Itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mainland Itinerary

>>it depends on how used to the route you are,how experienced as a driver you are,what kind of car you drive etc... <<

Quite. In this case we're advising someone who is not used to the route, we have no idea how experienced a driver they are, and whatever car they drive, it won't be a car they're familiar with. Therefore, telling them that they can cover the distance in 4.5 hours is unrealistic and potentially dangerous.

7. Re: Mainland Itinerary

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mainland Itinerary

Hey and welcome travelbugDelphi:-) I don't know if you have your plans set in stone yet..if not, you may want to consider flying out to Santorini directly upon your arrival in Greece..will certainly save you the backtracking and you can keep the itinerary consecutive which is a major timesaver:-) With 12 days (11 nights), and 2 nights already alloted to Santorini..that leaves you with 9 nights..you can pick up a car rental from the airport in Athens (if you choose to fly back) and head out from there bypassing Athens/traffic! Now you've got a bit more time to take in Nauplion, Delphi..and possibly Meteora and still enjoy Athens at the tail end for 3-4 days;-) If you opt to keep it down to those 3 days..then you are better of picking just one combo for the couple of overnights..Meteora is certainly worth the effort..but only if you've got the time to spend and not make it a fly-by;-) Happy planning..and EnjoY!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mainland Itinerary

Η εθνική οδός Τρι­κάλων – Καλαμπάκας (σε όλη τη διαδρομή της ) συγκαταλέγεται από τη διεύθυνση Τροχαίας της Ελληνικής Αστυνομίας στα 14 πιο επικίνδυνα σημεία του εθνικού οδικού δικτύου

None of which actually contradicts what I said. I interpret that as meaning that there have been accidents on the road so the Greek police say it's dangerous when what they actually mean is that it's people driving dangerously who are the problem.

10. Re: Mainland Itinerary

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 11:37
Edited: 28 March 2011, 11:37