We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
320 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

Unfortunately, my adult sons and I will only have the afternoon and evening in Athens before departing for the islands. I have been to Athens twice before, but my sons have not. We will be staying in the Plaka district. What sights do you suggest we visit so they get to see as much as possible in so short a time (sorry!!! - I know!!!) I should mention that we will be there the middle of July.

Also any suggestions for a reasonably priced dinner at a good restaurant in the area would be appreciated. We generally enjoy all kinds of foods!

Thanks in advance for all assistance/advice! It's much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

Do an open top bus tour and you'll get to see loads in just two hours. Walk through Plaka and Monastiraki to Thissio and have dinner at a rooftop restaurant (say Filistron). Job done.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

By that time the Acropolis will be open till 8pm ( last admission 7.30pm ) so this is where i 'd probably head to see the monumentm the city and catch the sun setting when descending.

If that's the time you have, then that's it. Not long but better than nothing : )

So, staying in Plaka area, i 'd head to Acropolis subway station, starting from there a walk that would take me to Acropolis.

A place to eat near the junction the main pedestrian road gets you to Acropolis is "Attikos Greek house". It will be in the 20 - 30 euros per person area though. Good good and stunning views of the Acropolis.

Or, if you want something lighther walk all around the Acropolis Hill, reaching Thission and then going to Monastriaki Sq. for some souvlaki. This can be either 2 - 3 euros per person on take awy or around 8 euros per person sitting.

You can find both options here:

http://tinyurl.com/AthensEats-English

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

If you can't make it to Akropolis it would be a good idea to get on the top of Filoppapou hill on the opposite side of the rock,from there you can take beautiful photos of Akropolis,Athens, and also see the view of Athens and up to the Saronic islands if the weather is clear.

Then walking down towards Thission you have many choices for food, the place is full of tavernas.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

Another option would be to head over to Kolonaki and take a funicular ride up Lykavittos Hill to the summit to see the sunset & evening lights

Athens
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

It is a very good idea to go to Philopappos Hill to enjoy the breathtaking views. On the pedestrian walk way up to Philoppapos Hill there is a very beautiful little church of St. Dimitrios Loumbardiaris . Give yourself a few minutes to visit it . Such a nice old church .

Regarding Dinner on Adrianou road there are many and good places for all pockets 'Kuzina" a gourmet restaurant, Dia Tafta , Efcharis , to kouti , Attalos . You can sit outside and enjoy the fantastic view to the Acropolis and Ancient Agora .

6. Re: Afternoon and evening in Athens - any "to do" suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 09:18