We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odeum of Herodes Atticus

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Hello there,

Bit of a random question - My boyfriend and I are hoping to go and see the Opera at the Odeum of Herodes Atticus in June. I was just wondering if anyone had been before?! And, what seating would be best?! I.e. the top or bottom tier?!

Really looking forward to our trip to Athens!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks,

Nicolle.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Hello, Nicolle and welcome to the forums!

I prefer the top seats but that's rather personal. IMO, one has better view and sound when they are from the middle and upwards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Thanks for the welcome ! :)

Yes, I prefer to be in the middle of it all really.

Did you see Opera there before?! Or, could you recommend any lovely restaurants around the area?!

Thanks very much!

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

I haven't seen an opera performance there but I have seen other types of performances (musical, dance). My husband performed there once actually! I prefer middle or upper as well, I agree with Thalia on the acoustics and the view being better, besides in my experience you can actually spread out a bit if you sit higher up.

I would recommend to bring a cardigan or shawl because even in summer it can get cool there in the evenings, certainly in June.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

I'm a ballet fan myself and I've also seen many concerts.

A very famous after-Herodion restaurant is Kyoto. I know, I know, it's Japanese and not Greek but since it's my favourite I had to mention it. One of the reasons why I like it is because many foreign performers go there after the show and you get the chance to see them eating next to you. Also, the food is amazing, authentic Japanese and the prices are very good. The few from the terrace is wonderful.

Another popular place is Greek House Attikos but personally I find that their food seems like it came from the deep freezer of a supermarket.

A third choice in the area is Strofi. It's a simple yet nice restaurant that serves traditional Greek food on a rooftop terrace with breathtaking views.

Edited: 23 May 2011, 18:58
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Oooops! I forgot the contact details!

Kyoto: Garebaldi 5, Tel: 210-9241406

Attikos: Garebaldi 7, Tel: 210-9215256

Strofi: Rovertou Galli 25, Tel: 210-9214130

A reservation is absolutely necessary on a concert night.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Not sure if it would still be open that late, but the cafe in the Acropolis Museum has good simple (but not predictable) food at really good prices, it's RIGHT there, and the view is fantastic. Okay, it's a cafe, not a restaurant... but if it's open that might be my choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Thanks for your responses and recommendations !

You've been a great help; and you'll be happy to know we've booked up to see The Thessalonika state orchestra: A tribute to Franz Liszt on Sunday 12th June. Sitting in the upper; in the middle!!

Very excited; and many thanks :)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Aaaah, that sounds amazing!

Do follow Xaroula's advice and carry a cardi or a pashmina. It might be still nippy during the night. And, if humidity has that magic touch on your hair, a ponytail might be a good idea for that night.

Have a wonderful time!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Oh, I almost forgot, you are most welcome!

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Odeum of Herodes Atticus

Ha-ha....a ponytail shall be sorted :)!

Thanks for both your help once again - I shall let you know how much we enjoy the Odeum of Herodes Atticus when I return!