We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro to Pireaus thieves!

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Level Contributor
122 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Metro to Pireaus thieves!

While on the metro back to our cruise ship we( 4 Americans) were almost the victims of pick pockets. We didn't even realize that we were "marked" while on the platform. A group of men (5 total) managed to get between us while on the train. The looked like average people (25-30 years old). When a older Greek woman started to yell out in perfect english, "Watch your stuff I see 3 thieves... no 5 of them". Fortunately because of the warning all of us were aware what was happening. At that point 2 of the pick pockets got off the train but 3 remained. One of the pick pockets tried to intimidate our friend by staring at him. As the 3 thieves exited the train they spit in our friends face. I guess trying to provoke him to do something. In the end nothing was stolen and we were ok. Believe the warnings about pick pockets on the Pireaus metro!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

and in London

and in New York

and on Las Ramblas in Barcelona.....

in fact, anywhere that offers an opportunity for thieves.

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

Yes it does happen,it is more frequent now with so many foreigners...and some Greeks too,they do spot people from outside the building,or in the platform,everybody must be aware of this situation,hold close to your stuff,money belts always and ladies take care of your habd bags.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

why are people so defensive on this forums?

the poster kindly informed us of a particular nasty incident on the metro. they did not say all of the people in athens are thieves.

we are not stupid and well aware that this kind of thing can happen anywhere in the world.

please do not point out something that we are all well aware off

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

which people are defensive my friend?

Is it forbiden to write our point of view?

I can't underrstand some of your remarks.

And when you write"some"don't they have a "name"?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

Of course the OP didn't say that all Athenians are thieves (I did read the post).

<<we are not stupid and well aware that this kind of thing can happen anywhere in the world.>>

My point exactly.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 13:56
6. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2011, 14:35
philadelphia
Level Contributor
122 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

We had a great time in Athens and found the Athenians friendly. Every tour book, the cruise ship, and Trip advisor has warned that the Pireaus Metro line is notorious for pick pockets. I thought we were savy travelers. Honestly, I was expecting kids/teenagers to be pick pockets not 30 year old men. Traveling makes us all a little wiser. The only thing they would have gotten out of my back pack was a bottle of water and a tour book of Athens.

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

Your intelligence?

I know you were refering to me.

I just don't understand why/

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

Informing visitors to take sensibly expected precautions against pickpocketing will help crush those pickpocketing.

Green metro line, from Piraeus to Omonoia can be a hive for them.

Piraeus station also is a place to be cautious, even from the pedestrian bridge before while Monastiraki station is also having some problems.

Most usual advise ( and rarely followed ) is about men. Carrying wallet in backpocket is a no-no while side pocket is also not the perfect place. Regarding women, bag is also something to always have an eye on.

Backpakcs should bit be on the back in any metro in the world. Your lap or your chest is where they should be if they contain more than a bottle of water and a amp indeed :)

I always walk in any urban environment ( whether this is Athens or NYC ) with a tiny waist pouch that includes what i may need: camera = cellphone, some cc, passport and some minimal money.

And please: remember: when you are a tourist you carry a camera along all the rest. And perhaps a backpack. Minimise the number of itmes you carry. You 'll have an easier day with less to keep an eye on and you 'll help crushing those pickpocketing people. This applies in each main tourism destination in the Mediteraanean.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 14:28
Athens Greece
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro to Pireaus thieves!

Nick....now.... you are pointing out the obvious,you may insult someone's intelligence.