We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens-Kea

Sweden
11 posts
Save Topic
Athens-Kea

I would like to get advise about if its possible to get to Kea (Lavrio) from the airport in Athens when the flight arrival is 18.10 and the ferry in Kea departures 20:00. Do anybody know if its reasonable to get there in time. We need to buy tickets to the ferry in the port.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens-Kea

If my menory serves me right, it is 45 minutes from Athens airport to Lavrio. Lets say 1 hr, to be on the safe side. So the question is, is the flight going to arrive on time, and how long it'll take to disembark plane, collect lugguage etc and find a taxi? (Or is there a bus?, not sure...) I think it's a possible to do it if there are no major delays, but a close call. It may worths it to buy tickets from one of the travel agencies in airport if possible.

UK
Level Contributor
364 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens-Kea

This is the Ktel bus timetable. http://www.ktelattikis.gr/routes.php

From memory it takes about 40 minutes. So if your flight arrives at 18.10, you'd be unlikely to get the 18.30 bus and the 19.30 would be too late arriving at Lavrio.

No problem with a taxi, of course, provided the flight is reasonably on time.

Get the tickets at the port.

Don't count on getting a hotel room in Lavrion if you miss the ferry, we ended up ( 2 families with kids) sleeping on the deck, of an old tub overnighting in the port.

Sweden
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens-Kea

Thanks for you replies. Its so hard to decide how to do. Because u never know if the flight gonna be in time and if u have to wait for the luggage. I´m planing to take a taxi to Lavrion. Hmmm.. as you say (tomtom 12) if we miss the ferry we wont have any place to stay. So I guess its just to decide to be bold or to be safe!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens-Kea

Swooey, You always get better advice if you just take 15 seconds more, and give the DATES you are inquiring about. For instance, you have a much better chance of getting thru the airport fast if you are not arriving on a peak- traffic day such as Friday or Saturday

For instance, what lodgings available if your taxi arrives at pier just as ferry pulls away??? not cheap (€149-160) but an important back-up option --- Aegeon Beach Hotel (37 standard rooms) is 9 km away, near The Temple of Poseidon ruins at Sounion ... rooms available July but not in August. See?

No budget hotels at all in Lavrio... closest would be about 20-25 miles away.

Sweden
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens-Kea

Travelerjan. Thanks for your answer. Do anybody know how much a taxi (in the aftermoon) from the airport to Lavrio will cost?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens-Kea

Swooey, are you arriving in Athens on the weekend or during the week?? And WHAT DATES are you travelling - as travelerjan said, the WHEN will make a big difference in traffic times.

Sweden
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens-Kea

Ok. During the week this week. Around 18.00. But I wonder about the price. Do the price differ if its july or august? I guess a taxi from the airport to Lavrio wouldnt take more than the 40 minutes. Because I read that the bus takes 40 minutes. But mayabe I am wrong?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens-Kea

Hiya!

There might be no taxis during the week this week. There is a taxi strike and for now we don't know when it will end.

A taxi will take slightly less time than the bus. I'm sorry but I don't know how much it will cost.

Sweden
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens-Kea

TH13, I heard about the strike. Perfect (not). So I guess there will be very difficult to catch a taxi tomorrow.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens-Kea

Unless something changes radically, it will be impossible.