We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

Sudbury, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

HI!

I'm In Athens from the 12-14 and the full moon according to the phases is the 13th. I read about the Full Moon Festival where all the sites are open between 9-1 am...or many.

However when I go online I cannot find a confirmed date...does anyone have any info about it??

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

The full moon of August is on Saturday, August 13th. That's when the sites will be open until very late in the night and the area around Acropolis, Thission, Monastiraki etc will be packed with people.

If you wish to have dinner on that night, better make a reservation quite soon.

Last year, I booked a rooftop table one month in advance!

Sudbury, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

Thank you we'll make sure we book a restaruant....:)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

You are most welcome!

Have a wonderful time!

barcelona
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

I read that Acropolis will be closed the 14 and 15 August this year..is that true?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

No, this is not true.

The Acropolis will not open tomorrow night (for safety reasons) but it will be open as usual on the coming days.

The Acropolis Museum will be open until midnight (with special presentations for the day) and there is a concert on Dionissiou Aeropagitou Street.

Oregon
Level Contributor
401 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

This is something I hadn't heard of, so thanks for the posts!! I will be in Athens for September's full moon. Does the info above apply for September also?? Is there a website where I can find out more about this? Thanks for the info!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

FR, the full moon night openings of the sights and the events take place only in August.

barcelona
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

Thanks so much TH13 !!!

so tomorrow sunday or on monday I can visit Acropolis as usual !!!

I have only 2 days to visit Athens, do you recomend me going to Acripolis on sunday or monday? and see the city and the Acropolis museum the other day?

thanks again!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

Please do keep in mind the Acropolis Museum is closed on Mondays, so, having two days in the city, visit the Museum on Sunday.

Museum gets a bit busy Sunday morning, from 10.30am till appx. 3.00pm, so plan the day accordingly to be on outdoors sites ( either Acropolis itself or other sites ) till heat starts rising. Getting to the Museum around 3.30pm - 4pm or even a bit later, will ensure the least crowds possible will be there.

barcelona
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Full Moon Festival in Athens 2011

Thanks Nick !!!!!

Is the Likavittos hill worth??

or for 2 days any other places are a best option?