We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monastiraki to sytigmata square

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
monastiraki to sytigmata square

hi,

can anyone let me know how far away from each other these 2 places are .how long would it take to walk from one to the other ,as we are staying 5 mins from monastiraki station ,but need to get to the square to pick up a coach tour .do we need to get a taxi.

thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

Excellent spelling, it's 'SYNTAGMA' ;)

They're about a 7 minute walk apart...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

It's Syndagma Square and it is walkable or a short subway hop.

One from other is a straight line walk, slightly uphill, on Ermou Str., i 'd say appx. 10 - 15 mins walking on the main shopping pedestrian road.

Google map here: http://tinyurl.com/MonastirakiToSyndagma

You can either do it on a short subway hop, on Blue metro line. It's one stop, from "Monastiraki", taking train on "Airport" direction, for one stop to "Syndagma". It's a 30 - 35 seconds ride + some more time to get to the platform etc. All in all a 5 minutes thing.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

Do study a bit beforehand where your coach bus will be stopping. It's not a huge square but it's anyway some hundred feets each side.

I assume it will be stopping at McDonalds side. That's the lower part of the square ( West or "left" on map liked ), right when you exit from Ermou str. on the square, so you will walk right to it. Nevertheless, this is just an assumption.

99% of the coach buses stop there, still i don't know where yours is stopping :))

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

thanks sorry about spelling

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

talk about me your both from athens and one spells it syntagma and the other syndagma which ones right . lol :-)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

Greek words sometimes transliterate in multiple similar ways. A typical linguistic nightmare.

I think Panionara is more correct. "Syntagma" is the most correct pronunciation / transliteration.

Edited: 15 August 2011, 23:57
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

It is a problem for us English speakers! The Greek 'T' is usually pronounced much softer than in English so sounds like a cross between T & a D, as well as other sounds that have no exact equivalent, that's why you will see different spellings of things when translated :)

Anyway, I agree with Nick, 10-15 mins walk, it depends on your pace & whether you stop to look in shop windows!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

...and whether you have luggage! Make it 20 to be on the safe side.

9. Re: monastiraki to sytigmata square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 01:15