We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Marathon from Athens

Oregon
Level Contributor
389 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Marathon from Athens

I would appreciate some logistics help on the feasibility of getting to various places in Marathon via public transportation, as a day trip from Athens. Fodor's Greece guidebook mentions a permanent free "Olympic Marathon" exhibit, housed at the Center for the Promotion of the Marathon Race (located at Marathon and 25th March streets).

As a runner, I see this as a "pilgrimage," but since I can't find any further info on this, does anyone know any info about this exhibit, when it's open, or how to get there? (I have found a few YouTube videos, as well as a Travel Blog, but they were all posted at least a few years ago.)

TA posters (back in November) had differing views on whether going to Marathon was even worth the effort, but to me it's important. But are other sites there in the area worth the effort, and how to get to them?? The Tomb there (5k S. of Marathon) is a replica (but of course the site it's on is real), with the original in Athens. Since I'm planning on spending a lot of time at the Athens museum, is the Arch. museum in Marathon (6k SW of the town) worth the visit?

I read that the 2009 fires in the area certainly marred the views, especially around Lake Marathon. It has only been 2 years, so how is recovery coming along?

Usually when I run into a roadblock on the logistics of getting to places, such as this trip, my thoughts go toward renting a car. I really don't want to do that in Athens, such a major city. Traffic nightmares! I've also read that the road to Marathon has lots of traffic.

I'd appreciate any up-to-date info on the Marathon area and sights there. Apparently it's not visited much, as there aren't any posts at all in 2011 here on TA's Attica section for Marathon.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

I find Marathon well worth visiting. It is a big area, and to see it all I hired a taxi from Athens - which was very convenient when the driver knew where to go.

When I was there the Olympic races museum was about to open in the next few weeks, but we were allowed a look around. You will also find the Olympic stadium for the start of the Marathon races, and there are a couple of archeoilogical museums well worth visiting, as well as the site of the battle.

Here you can get an idea:

http://tinyurl.com/crcqtw

Edited: 16 August 2011, 10:15
Oregon
Level Contributor
389 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

Great pictures, thank you for them! Would you know the hours and days the race museum is open?

Please tell me more about your taxi trip to Marathon - how did you find the taxi/driver, about how much would be a reasonable cost, how long were you gone out of Athens, etc.?

It helps so much to hear from those who have gone before! Thanks!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

I had the hotel booking a taxi for the day with an English speaking driver, and told what my aims were. At the time I payed some € 25 an hour - you must expect higher now with petrol up and taking into consideration that this was before the race museum officially opened (6 years ago).

I went for the day - in the end some 6 hours including time for having lunch, seeing the lake and surroundings as well as spending time in the museums and the sites.

I have never had a driving licence, which is why I now and then rely on taxis for the day - they know their way around, and it is far more flexible than going by public bus etc. I am not one for organised tours. Like said previously the area is big, and I would never have done all I wanted to see by using public transport and then try to find my way.

The races museum site is in Greek, but I have done a translation into English via Google Translator:

http://tinyurl.com/3sumw55

Hope this helps !

Edited: 16 August 2011, 21:18
Oregon
Level Contributor
389 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

Thanks for going to the trouble to get that translated. I'm sure a lot got lost in that, but I understand the context. (I enjoyed seeing Norwegian pop up when I clicked on a few things - my husband is Swedish, so I can read the Norwegian too! :-) The pictures are of course helpful as well!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

Norwegian is easy and convenient - isn't it ?

:o)

Oregon
Level Contributor
389 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

Much easier than Russian!

Athens
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

There are buses from Athens to the village of Marathon. The single ticket cost 3.70 euro. They run from 6:00 until 22:00. You can stop to the stadium from where start the classical Marathon race and then walk 10 min until the village where you can find taxi for other excursions. Most of the young Greek speak English so it will be easy to find local info at the village.Always ask the taxi driver about the estimate cost of the ride. The distance from the stadium to the museum and the tomb is not big if you are used to walk, but the hot weather is a problem. I have not visited the museum at Marathon so I can not give advise for this. The museum of Athens is huge and you need a lot of time for it. You don't mention when you plan to come and the hotel that you stay. That thinks maybe will affect the planing. I assume that you drive automatic gear car, and in order to hire one of them you must plan ahead.

Oregon
Level Contributor
389 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

Thanks for this info. We will be in Athens Sept. 10-17, so we're hoping that the weather will not be so hot then. We're renting an apartment south of the Acropolis, next to the Divani Palace Hotel. I have a great map, and know where to catch the bus to Marathon. It's good to know that it is possible to get off the bus outside of town and then walk.

But, we may decide it's all too much effort, and just stay in Athens.

Regarding a car, I am apparently a true minority among Americans, because I drive a manual transmission car, and much prefer that. I'm renting cars on both Santorini and Aegina, and they are manual transmission. Easier to find a car at a reasonable cost when one drives a manual transmission!

9. Re: Day trip to Marathon from Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 15:15