We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Upstate New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

We will be arriving in Piraeus through a cruise, as a taking off point we would appreciate suggestions for ideas where to go. We have been to Athens before and would like to do something different. Any suggestions for different things to do, sight see and how to get transportation to/from would be appreciated. Does anyone know how to get to Sounion from the port? Thanks!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

Plenty of advice on the left column to check.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

www.pireasnet.gr/Default.aspx?tabid=674

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

Hi ! This is the Athens forum, there is a specific forum on Piraeus, and of course the usual left column with things to do etc.

You may want to spend some time around Zea which is a yaught marina with many pleasant cafeterias and trendy restaurnats around. There is a marine museum in the area too. Then there is a very worthing archeological museum in Piraeus, maybe about 15 minutes walk from the marina. A further 10-15 minutes walk may bring you to the very center of Piraeus with many nice shops, from cheap bargains to international brands, and if you are into shopping, I think Piraeus has plenty to offer.

You can have lunch on one of the many different waterfront locations of Piraeus. Piraeus coastline is sort of a combination of mostly different larger or smaller ports and marinas,or plain waterfront promenades, or similar, featuring slightly different ambience each. For example Piraiki features small cheap taverns with no menu at all, just dishes of the day, or very small menus and used to be favored area for working class, Zea is someohow for the posh or the young and trendy crowd, and Mikrolimano, an other very popular area, is a mix of taverns, cafes, restaurants and taverns, a bit for everyone. In general I believe Piraeus gets unfair bad publicity as an ugly city, just by people who have only been in the port area. Port area is naturaly unattractive, but Piraeus has some really nice spots. You may google for images and information on Kastela, Pasalimana, Zea, Mikrolimano or Tourkolimano, Piraiki and so on, to get an idea.

In order to get to Sounion, you need and intercity bus, not the urban bus running inside Athens. Specificaly Ktel Attikis runs this route. Starting point is near Pedion tou Areos, far inland in Athens, and there are two different routes. The one through coast line meet Attica waterfront I think somewhere near Voula/Vouliagmeni/Varkiza, and quite possibly there is a stop there. I know that currently this bus starts operating everyday at 6.30 morning and every hour till I think 18.30, but to be sure and get info on where and what time you can catch the bus, you may call +30 2108808080.

There are many urban buses from Piraeus to Voula, so if intercity bus is too much of a pain, you may want to get an urban bus till Glyfada, Voula, or some point around there, then to get a taxi to Sounion. You have to pre-arrange a peak up for return though. My guestimate is that if you just flash down a taxi on the road, from Voula to Sounion should cost no more that 30 euro at most, but then I have never take this route on a taxi, so I may be wrong.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,840 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

Piraeus main port

http://tinyurl.com/d5je2l

Marina Zea

http://tinyurl.com/dxzfn5

Archeological Museum (close to Marina Zea)

http://tinyurl.com/dby9au

Microlimano and Faliro

http://tinyurl.com/cc6l4j

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

Thanks, there is a lot helpful information. Appreciate it.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

I appreciate all your information, it is so helpful. Thank you this has been a big help for us.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,840 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

You're welcome - enjoy you visit !

8. Re: Coming into Piraeus on cruise looking for...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 17:19