We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

Finally booked the Plaka hotel after reading fab reviews on TA. Got my walking sandals - hope it doesnt rain! Printed my maps, bought 3 guide books, planning to do guided tours too.

However, made sure I read up on unsafe areas - as single female but very streetwise as born in and live in London and noted about Omonia area being a bit risky and not to travel there alone but isn't this the way to the museum? Is there a bus I can take from Plaka to the museum and back without having to walk through the area?

I also plan to go out for dinner at night but will stick to Plaka area where I'm sure it will be busy at night too.

Can't wait for this experience, god willing a good one and I'll report back as usual.

So would appreciate if anyone can help with my question please?

Also checked BBC website and it says Athens is raining for next 3 days!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

Passing through Omonoia during the hours that the NAM is open, is not a big deal. Just walk briskly and be alert and you ll be fine.

You ll probably see some junkies and low-lifes lingering around, but they wont attack you or anything. During daytime, Omonoia is very crowded.

The problem is at night and especially the sidestreets and alleys around Omonoia and not the square itself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

thanks but I think I'll try and catch a bus as I hate those kinds of situations. Makes you realise how safe London really is!

What a weird place to put the museum too!

Many thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

Actually Athens is probably statistically safer than London. Problem here is that central areas of the city have turned into ghettos. You can reach the NAM taking metro line 1 from monastiraki and getting off at Victoria station. Its a 5 min walk to the NAM from there. I dont want to alarm you even more but you should probably avoid the side roads of the NAM, especially the one next to the university. Its a notorious junkies hangout place. If you just enter the museum from the main entrance and then leave you ll be fine. Just avoid its side streets.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,762 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

Please don't worry about it, as Evan says, just don't wander off into the side streets. I walked up the one on the right hand side of the NAM to go to the Epigraphical museum & saw several druggies there, totally harmless, just laying around spaced out. There isn't much in the way of danger, more a case of not a pleasant sight, the feeling is more of an uncomfortable one, rather than threatening. Still feel safer there than some parts of London.

BTW, it's not a weird place to put the museum, it was there before the undesirables were!

Edited: 19 September 2011, 17:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

blimey it's a case of get off the train, walk straight into the NAM and then same on exit. I daren't even turn my head, ha ha.

Druggies and prostitutes dont bother me as long as they leave me alone - they have to live somewhere!

Can't wait now. Thank you for the advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,683 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

You can't "get off the train" and walk straight into the NAM. It's a good 10-minute walk from Omonia. If you are really determined to avoid Omonia (though there's no reason or need to during the day) take the metro one stop further to Victoria and walk back to the museum. But I wouldn't want to miss the walk up Athinas Street between Monastiraki and Omonia: it's one of the most vibrant and interesting streets in the city, with the main meat, fish and vegetable market, lots of small shops selling all manner of things, and some of Athens's most beautiful neoclassical buildings.

As for safety, Athens is safer than London by a long way. Apart from pickpocketing, there is very little crime.

Also, don't feel you've got to stick to Plaka for dinners: you'll get better, cheaper food in Psyrri, Thissio, and Gazi.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

Another more expensive option is to take the hop on off bus which stops outside the museum and previously stops near thissio train station

.On the bright side now is the best time to go to the museum because all the rooms are open because a lot of people came as guards to the museum

London, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

it's so confusing with Omonia because some reviews make it sound as a definite no go zone. We have loads of them here in London and I wouldnt go out at night alone here past 9pm, though many women do.

I think I will feel safer if I can take a normal bus from where I will be in Plaka to the NAM. I hate metro stations.

I am also planning to do the Hop On/Off bus so might just hop off there.

I think I should be okay what with other tourists being around and the shops you mention above sound amazing. I definetly need to bring some halloumi, anari and drahana back.

thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

Hey christobaby:) FWIW, the Green line metro run from Monasteraki is a piece of cake! Only 2 stops to Victorias..literally a few minutes..where the NAM is closer to walk than Omonia..at least from my experience! Victoria is not that bad at all..in comparison to some hoods here in NYC, it's paradise;) Have fun..and EnjoY!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off I go on Saturday but confused about archeological museum

We opted to get off at Viktorias and skip the Omonia experience. It was fine; not an interesting walk at all, but a short and uneventful one.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 17:51