We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tours from Athens?

New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Day Tours from Athens?

Hi, kind travelers. I finally made the decision to visit 4 days in Athens in early October before heading to Santorini for 5 days. I think I can explore a day or two in Athens on foot and with public transportation. But I want to spend the other two days taking guided tours. I'm interested in spirituality and natural beauty. What must I see? Delphi, Corinth, Mycenae, Olympia, Cape Sounio, Aegina Island?

Many thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

If you're into natural beauty and spirituality then it would have to be a Delphi/Meteora combined trip. You will need two days for that though, but well worth it....

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

Hi,

Like you I had 3 days in Athens but did not want to spend it all in the city.

I got a 051 bus from near Omonia Sq to a bus station on the edge of Athens, from there I got a bus to Corinth and from there another bus to Ancient Corinth. Good trip from that can be done in a day. The transport strike pf the 22nd Sept screwed all other plans to vist islands nearby. Wanted to do all this without using tours and guides.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

Hey and welcome juniemoonie:) You've gotten some great advice and agree with Panionara..although if you only have 4 days (3 nights?), you may be a bit pressed for time to do both..although Delphi can indeed be done in a day..logistics alone in getting to/from Meteora can prove to be a challenge with limited time..it's about a 5 hour drive from Athens each way and public transport from Delphi to Meteora can be time consuming as well..not an easy route that will require a change of transport!

You mention 'guided tours'..don't know if it fits your style or budget, but you may want to take a look at some of the tour operators that offer this combo taking care of all transport.. check www.chatours.gr/ www.keytours.gr/ www.gotours.com.gr/ FWIW, you can also take a day away from Santorini and add to Athens/mainland?! Of course, it's all up you..your interests, priorities, travel style, etc...You're coming the distance and totally get wanting to take in as much as possible..it's down to quality vs quantity;) Happy planning..and EnjOY!

New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

Thanks so much! I am committed to a 2-day Delphi and Merteora, but tour operators--Go, Key, Chat--don't seem to have them. Ever hear of Delphi tours? Antelope? Tours in Greece? I don't see them mentioned. Look much the same but with a Delphi museum option.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

You're very wecome juniemoonie:) Out of the ones you mention, I've heard of Antelope..you may want to do a search here and check out the chat on it?! Unfortunately, these magnificent sites are a distance from each other hence a 2 day/overnighter, just doesn't make it! You need at least an overnighter at each..especially at Meteora since you have to time your visit with opening hours! Although you can do Delphi alone in a day, it's still a haul..you're looking at about 6 hours travel time alone from Athens! Priorities rule..if you can't add a day, pick the one you feel would best fit the bill for you..or combine Delphi w/a trip to Nauplion from where you can visit Myceane and Corinth;) Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

I just returned from my Athens journey and did opt for an overnight to Delphi and Meteora. It wasn't clear on the promotion which tour company was sponsoring the tour, but it was Chat Tours indeed, and the guide to Meteora, Emilios Panoussopoulous, was fantastic. I would have loved to go for the two-nighter, because I missed the Delphi museum. Although there was a lot of bus time, I thought it was really worth the effort to see the two monastaries.

Thank you so much for your guidance. I appreciate you!

New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

I just returned from my Athens journey and did opt for an overnight to Delphi and Meteora. It wasn't clear on the promotion which tour company was sponsoring the tour, but it was Chat Tours indeed, and the guide to Meteora, Emilios Panoussopoulous, was fantastic. I would have loved to go for the two-nighter, because I missed the Delphi museum. Although there was a lot of bus time, I thought it was really worth the effort to see the two monastaries.

Thank you so much for your guidance. I appreciate you!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

Nice to hear back from you. Would love to see a trip report on all your trip in Greece : )

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,042 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

Thanks for sharing !

10. Re: Day Tours from Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 06:19