We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about traveling to Greece

Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about traveling to Greece

In December, my husband and I are taking our college-age sons to Athens (by way of Paris, Rome). This will be our first trip overseas and probably the first and last time we will be able to travel to Europe as a family.

I was prepared for icky weather (this is the only time we can go), but not a country on the brink of financial collapse. My fear is that we wil arrive from Paris (or not be able to arrive in the country at all), have no transportation to/from airport, no way to get around the city or out to Peloponissos, be stuck if the flight out to Paris to connect with flight home is cancelled, and who knows what else.

Athens demonstrations have their own tab, for petessake, on athens.usembassy.gov. Today (9/30/11) there are SEVEN planned all over the city making it sound like there would be no way to avoid one.

Should I be concerned? Should I restrict our trip to France and Italy? I have to finalize the trip today if possible and don't know what to do.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

This may be a rather stupid question... But what are the chances of a strike happening on a weekend or holiday? We arrive on a Saturday and depart on boxing day. Really only concerned about our flights in and out. We can roll with anything else.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

I really can't see any strikes happening in the Christmas holiday season. Strikes on a weekend are very rare.

Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

I'm out.

There is not an earlier flight from ATH to CDG nor any way to travel the day before and keep it in our reward miles package. The risk of missing our connecting flight home because some group was on strike was too great especially when transcontinental flights for reward miles are booked rather solid for that time of year. Greece will have to wait for another trip.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

Enjoy your travels; Athens still will be waiting should you have the opportunity someday. (I saw a brief clip of Syntagma Square police and rioters actions this evening on Brian Williams' NBC Nightly News.)

Edited: 06 October 2011, 03:43
New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

Keep in mind though that with the uncertainty plaguing all of Europe, there's always the chance of strikes in France and in Italy, especially if things go downhill throughout the Eurozone...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
86 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

robajr

you got a lot of good replies from the trip advisor community

if i was in your shoes , i would also postpone greece

you can always visit another time when the political conditions are calm

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

I'll assume that you're using Delta Skymiles- have you tried calling them with your dates? They've managed miracles for us. Good luck and happy travels wherever you go.

Bondi
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

Just come back from two weeks in Athens, Crete, Santorini. No problems on strike days, our travel agent (Aegean Thesaurus - highly recommended) fixed transport from/to Athens airport even on strike days. We only saw a couple of street closures and small crowds assembling for demonstrations. Most of the time, nobody seemed unduly worried about the state of the economy but then, when you owe a lot of money, let the lenders worry?

29. Re: Worried about traveling to Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 21:15