We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hospital / ER question

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Hospital / ER question

Hello,

My boyfriend and I had a rather serious motorbike accident when travelling in Mykonos few days ago. We got treated at the hospital in Mykonos and was then transferred to a hospital in Athens overnight, by a military plane. My boyfriend has got a lot of stitches on the head... I got 5.

We got sent to the General Hospital of Athens (Genimmatas) and went through CT scans and x-rays.

As we return to Canada (we're Canadian) however, we wanted to ask the doctor for the images of the CT scans and x-rays. The doctors say they could not provide us with the images, but told us they did not identify any further problems after examining the scans.

A friend told us that we should avoid doing all these scans again when we return to Canada because its a lot of radiation we are taking in.

Any recommendations on how to obtain further reports of our scans? Because we only received a stamped letter saying we're in a stable condition and some figures which look like results of our blood tests.

Thank you so much.. any sort of help or experience is appreciated!!!

On another note.. I find the members of the Mykonos hospital as well as the Athens hospital very professional.. I was really pleased with the care they provided to us, given that we weren't in a position to negotiate (both injured and weak). We also used the service of the Canadian Embassy here and found them helpful in most times.

Edited: 09 October 2011, 10:37
Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
441 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hospital / ER question

In case you still have to see the greek doctor, ask for his name/phone/email. In case you need follow up treatment in canada, your local doctor can contact the greek doctor. They probably can share the scans electronically.

Hope you have a fast recovery and safe return !

(my daughter was taken to an athens hospital 2 yrs ago while we were on an island and all went well. The only surprise i had is that we never received any bill for the examinations, blood analysis, operation, etc)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hospital / ER question

CT scans and X-rays nowadays have minimum radiation, so I would not worry about that, it was necessary and you are in one piece now,.

Normally in Greece the hospital keep all records, scans etc. so you should be in touch with them again, ie GENIMMATAS hospital, asking whether you could get them either as a picture or on CD. This might be free or payable, cannot tell.

Since you are a tourist they might have decided just to keep your records. Whilst I fell sick in Greece, and had to do a scan, I was actually given in hand the "picture".

I wish you good luck!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hospital / ER question

First of all, i want to wish to both of you, fast recupperation.

Περαστικά, as we say in Greece, or "may it pass fast, as fast as it arrived".

Policy in public hospitals is that digital records of scans are kept in the hospitals archives for future use or reference. Many scans are created in only one copy, because this is what the scanning machine gets: One copy. This is usual in older, analog equipment where a cd is not possible in some cases. So, hospital gets the one available copy.

If you want a copy of the scans and no copy is provided by the hospital itself, you can ask for the original, take it out of the hospital to get a copy of it somewhere, and then DEFINITELY return the original to the hospital.

In order to get the original, you have to sign a statement that you will return the original. That's a Law 1599 declaration, or "ypefthini dilosi" as referred to here. It's a very common document where you state your id, your name etc, and you say something like "i got this yyy original of this exam, from this yyy hospital and i declare i will return the original in yyy days".

It is a common procedure, but please keep in mind that, even if theoretically no harm may exist, it's a clear violation of law NOT to return the original. Moreover, use of this declaration is to cover the hospital's liability if you take the original and dissapear :) Ths happens too, from Greeks or not, unfortunately.

One of the typical places to get copies of these scans is this:

http://www.maniatakis.com/contact.html at 118 Kifissias Ave. a 6 - 7 minutes walk from "Panormou" St. on Blue metro line.

Other possible place is:

http://mermigas.gr/locations at 4 Kifissias Ave. I haven't used this one but it seems to be offering much more options on type of scans. It's a 6 - 7 minutes walk from "Ampelokipoi" stop on Blue metro line.

You can use Google Chrome or Google Translator to get an English version of both sites + i sugegst asking a nurse there to write you down the transliteration in English characters of the Greek word for the tests you had, in order to ask prices before going to the shops. Definitely ask for prices before hand, it's not a common photocopy anyway that costs 5c, so better to know price before hand.

Again, best wishes for quick recovery.

Edited: 09 October 2011, 18:34
athens
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hospital / ER question

hallo everyone!

it is rather impossible that a Greek Public Hospital will send a copy of an X-ray or of a CT-Scan to patient abroad,given the economic situation...Unless, "pressure" is applied on the President of the Hospital by the Canadian Embassy...

P.S. <<CT scans and X-rays nowadays have minimum radiation, so I would not worry about that, it was necessary and you are in one piece now,.>> That depends on how old the machines are and the kind of service they get...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hospital / ER question

I see no reason for a Canadian patient to be able to receive that kind of service, after pressure by an Embassy, and in this case, the hospital people should suggest to the Embassy that all patients receive the same level or width of services.

I thought this was the kind of things we are trying to leave behind.

It's a patient's scans for God's sake, nor a verdict for a convict or some perplex legal document.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hospital / ER question

Thank you guys - your input and kind wishes are much appreciated!

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hospital / ER question

Your Drs. in Canada will be the best ones to advise whether you need repeat scans and the risks. I suspect if they say you should have them they will do them right away and not take time to call Greece (well, maybe one try).

I am also curious if you receive any bills for your treatment in Greece, including that evacuation on the military plane. In the US without insurance you would of course be in for thousands of dollars.

Anyway, hope you have a speedy recovery.

8. Re: Hospital / ER question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 00:18