We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Athens

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
233 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Athens

I am planning a trip to Greece next summer. My idea is to arrive by plane, camp 4 nights near Athens and visit the city, then take a ferry to the Cyclades.

The question is: is there any camping site you can recommend, not too far from the airport, and not too far from the public transportation service, so that it could be possible to reach downtown Athens from the Camping?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Stefano

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Athens

Hi Stefano

According to the Rough Guide to Athens, there are two campsites on the outskirts of Athens, "Athens camping" at Leoforus Athinon and "Camping Nea Kifissia" . Both state that they are on relatively easy public transport reach of the city centre but it also states that neither is particularly cheap. The first one sits right by the side of a very busy main road.

If you are on a budget, why not look at staying in Athens Backpackers Hostel? - it's very close to most of the main sights in central Athens and would remove the need ( and expense and time) of getting into the city from the outer suburbs every day.

http://www.backpackers.gr/

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Athens

I know the Athens Camping site, I pass it every time I go to & leave Athens. The road is constant, several lane traffic, as it is the main highway out to Corinth.

The cost of staying there & the time to get to the centre really wouldn't be worth it if it is the Athens sights you want to see.

As GB says, a backpackers hostel would be a better bet & the Athens backpackers on Makri St is probably the best & an excellent location, everything in walking distance from there.

The only advantage of a night or 2 at the campsite is if you specifically wanted to see Dafni Monastery (nearby, along the same road) &/or head out to Ancient Corinth. For the central sites I wouldn't consider it, you may as well spend your money on a decent bed for around the same cost, especially if you are willing to sleep in a shared room.

NY
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Athens

RE Backpackers(PB) Hostel, it says

"Athens Backpackers has fast become the hostel of choice for excellent facilities and good time atmosphere - you'll find an instant social scene,fabulous facilities,a Roof Bar with lots of action, comfortable beds in an unbeatble location, best of the hostels."

I am not sure what the "..lots of action.." means, but I think GB is right on for his recommendation, and a roof bar is a great thing. There is too much to do in Athens to be spending time on transportation in and out of the city and worrying about weather, and BP location is most handy to Acropolis and Plaka areas. So unless the camping is a lot less money, check out reviews of BP

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Athens

Here you can see Athens Backpackers location from Acropolis metro station and from Amalias Avenue respectively:

http://tinyurl.com/5syadyy

and to show you how central it is - here is an album of the Acropolis area:

http://tinyurl.com/czdx56

Edited: 28 November 2011, 19:13
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Athens

We actually stayed at Athens Style a backpackers hostel that has a few single rooms and lots of dorm style rooms. it is right at the Monestraki metro station and has a great little rooftop bar. Lots of young people and great buzz as well as inexpensive beer at happy hour.

Here are some pictures from the rooftop bar.

The 3 night time shots were from Athens style. The album should open at these shots.

travel.webshots.com/album/570719132pdjjHG…

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
233 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Athens

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I have checked the backpackers hostel website, but finally I decided to choose the Nea Kifissia Camping.

We prefer camping, and would also be a much less expensive choice.

On the website they mention the metro station is close, and in 45 minutes you can reach the Acropolis. If this is true, for us it's ok.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Athens

Hi again

It's a bus AND Metro ride from this campsite to central Athens. It's your call of course, but do you want to waste at least 90 minutes, and maybe more, each day getting into and out of the city when the Backpackers Hostel is a 10 - 15 minute walk from most of the main sights? I can't see what the campsite's rates are, but by the time you have taken your bus and Metro fares into account, is the Hostel that much more expensive?

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
233 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Athens

The Nea Kifissia Camping, for a family with 2 kids, is 43 euro per day (average - eurocampings.it/it/… ), while the backpack hostel would be 94 euro per day, in a 6 bed mixed room. Metro and bus we need anyway to tour around Athens.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Athens

Well, doesn't this just point up the importance of full disclosure in one's question! If you had told us you were a family with two children, Stefano, you'd probably have got quite different answers.

I too thought that Athens Backpackers, which is so central, would make better sense than staying out in the sticks of Nea Kifissia - but I now see the sense of your camping.

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
233 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping in Athens

You are right Alabastron. That's why I asked from the beginning about "Camping in Athens". Anyway your answers were absolutely useful, and I discovered the Nea Kifissia Camping thanks to GB answer.

Thamks to alla of you.

Stefano