We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

We are a group of 8 trying to decide on a shore excursion. One of the tours gives 3 hours of free time after a tour of the Acropolis before taking us back to the ship.

I thought we could perhaps spend that time in the Acropolis Museum (in the airconditioning) and recharge our batteries in their cafe as suggested by another poster but the museum is closed on Mondays and of course that is when we are there. This will be late May.

Any suggestions for other options close by?

Thanks

Jane

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,827 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

Walk down the hill and pass Acropolis museum, then turn left at Byron street and you will be in the heart of Plaka within a couple of minutes.

http://tinyurl.com/72ebclh

http://tinyurl.com/34b2gt3

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

Hi,

I agree with Greek-traveller, the Plaka, an old part of Athens is a lovely area to walk around. You'll also find a place to have a meal too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

I would say visit the Pynx. It's free and big, so it rarely gets crouded. It also has a nice mix of tourists and Athenians who are just there to relax. Basically, it is large rocky field that provides many natural places to sit down so you could all relax there. It is special because it is where ancient Athenians used to vote and discuss important issues. It's a very important site in the history of Athens, and for democracy. It's only a short walk away from the main entrance of the Acropolis. It is also sign posted. it will probably take you no more than 10 minutes to walk there.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 14:16
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

It depends on what interests you, but personally I would advise against the Plaka. It's full of poor quality restaurants and gift shops.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

Hi there

Many of Athens' top outdoor sights are within10-15 mins stroll of the Acropolis so take your pick. Ancient agora, Roman agora, Hadrian's Library, Temple of Zeus, Hadrian's arch, Panathinaic stadium, Roman Bath excavations, and lots more.

Each to their own but I have dined at some very good cafes and restaurants in Plaka, plus it's network of narrow streets and stepped alleyways makes for an interesting wander.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

After exiting the Acropolis site, turn to the right instead of heading towards the Acropolis Museum and descend towards the Agora, Temple of Hephaestu's and Agora Museum. Visit the site and exit through its Northern Gate towards Monastiraki. Dine there.

A subway station is underneath the Monastiraki Sq. to get you either to the port or the designated meeting point.

It's the Northern most part of this walk, points 7, 8 9 and beyond.

tinyurl.com/Acropolis-Agora-walk-En

3 hours is a very good time frame to do this. Allow 90 minutes for a quick run through the Agora ( don't skip the Temple of Hepaestus ) and another 90 minutes to dine somewhere. Agora site is better shaded from Acropolis so it will be a nice choice for later hours in the day if it's summer.

7. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 16:30
Edited: 18 January 2012, 16:30
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

Btw, some of the best restaurant choices of Athens are in Plaka. It's only sterotyping to say it's "full of poor quality restaurants and gift shops".

Moreover "poor quality" is not something subjective. Plaka is NOT full of poor quality restaurants. Objectively.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

Hi Nick,

I have to agree with you there. I can't recollect ever having a lousy meal, perhaps a luke warm moussaka or two. Indeed, when I lived in Piraeus I'd travel up to the Plaka just to eat at some of the good restaurants.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 hours free time after the Acropolis on Monday. Ideas plez?

Hi everyone - thanks for your fabulous responses. I also checked out the National Archaeological Museum and it opens from 1.30pm on a Monday according to their website.

Is that also in the same area - walking distance?