We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens in April

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Athens in April

Hi,

We are thinking of visiting Athens in early Easter. How cold/warm will it be then? is it often rainy in Spring? Does it rain all day all just usually a downpour of a couple of hours?

I understand that the Greek Easter this year falls on Sunday 15 April; will the tourist attractions, shops, commerce etc be open on the week just before Easter?

We will be travelling with 4 kids (ages between 12 and 5); are there any particular sights/itineraries that you would recommend? Are there any easy day trips to do (which would not require car hire)?

Many thanks!

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens in April

I'm sorry I can't help out on the weather or Easter questions, I've only been to Athens many years ago.

However, I'm planning to visit the city again this summer. Just have a look at the Athens guide from Unanchor. I've bought it this winter, and I'm convinced it's very handy. It provides you a 3-day itinerary, what to see, what order, maps, transportation and insider's tips. Even if there are some sights you would like to skip, it's still easier than reading up on everything and trying to arrange your own itineraries...

unanchor.com/itinerary/athens-3-day-tour-iti…

It can't be too hard to take connections to the beach if you would like to. Island trips to Aegina are popular too... (but I'm sure you'll be able to get more experienced help on this than my advice...)

Happy travels!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens in April

April is not so warm yet, I doubt whether you would take a dip in cold waters. It is impossible to predict the conditions at this stage. Usually when heavy rains arrive, you will get soaked from head to toe, and might last for an hour or more. Having said that, in the springtime the rain might be light, and pleasant.

Easter is the busiest time for shops in Athens. Prepare for slow schedule in transportation on the days following, ie. Easter Sunday, as it is the biggest holiday in Greek Orthodox calendar, and everybody either stays at home or visit relatives during this time.

Check on the righthand column for things to do.

If you want to take a trip not involving a car, then your might wish to take a ferry or hydrofoil (faster) to a nearby islands, such as Aegina, Poros or Hydra, which all are easily reachable for a daytrip.

Aegina offers a nice port, worth to visit and have a lunch at the old market.

Poros has lots of good restaurants, a local bus takes you to Aliki beach, or you can just sit by the harbour amongst beautiful yachts enjoying ice-cream. The island is not so touristy as Aegina, as many Greeks have a summerhouse there.

Hydra has a different atmosphere, no cars, but the beach,... well there is no beach to speak of, only rocks.

Enjoy your stay!

3. Re: Athens in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:26