We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please where to stay

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please where to stay

My mother {young 70 } and myself 1st visit to Athens around July ,confused about where and which hotel safest and convineant ....King George Hotel {are there still protest's in square ? }, Athens Gate or Electra Palace ? {these all have a view of Acropolis which would be fab }}

THANK YOU in ADVANCE for any advice and recommendations

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please where to stay

Hi there

Firstly, Athens is SAFE for visitors, so have no worries. Of the hotels you mention, Athens Gate would get my vote purely for it's location close to the Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Arch. I've never stayed there but always think it is so well located when I have visited Athens. If you began your walking tour around the ancient sites at the Temple, all the other major outdoor sights are within a level stroll, with the exception of the Acropolis which is a bit of a climb through the back streets to the main entrance.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please where to stay

Have not stayed in these hotels, but found the below on TA pages.

I stayed in a standard room at the Electra Palace Hotel in June 2006. The superior rooms could be of much higher quality. My room was perfectly comfortable but was by no means elegant or luxurious-I'd rank it about where most Americans would rank a mediocre Holiday Inn. The common areas- lobby, bar, view from roof- were in the 4 star range. I think that Greek hotels tend to weight the common areas pretty heavily when ranking their hotels. The actual hotel rooms do not really compare favorably to American hotel rooms of the same rank. The location of the Electra Palace is very good and it is closer to restaurants and shopping than the Athen's Gate. It is a considerably shorter walk to the major sites such as the Temple of Zeus and the Acropolis from the Athens Gate Hotel than from the Electra Palace. Both hotels,however, are in good locations. The Electra Palace Hotel was quite quiet- it's located on a side street that doesn't get much traffic. I haven't stayed at the Athen's Gate but the street it is on is much bigger and busier.

UNQTE

Personally I find the Electra Palace more peaceful, situated close to Syntagma square but on a quiet street.

Hope this is helpful !

Because the Athen's Gate is given such a high ranking on tripadvisor, I would tend to favor that hotel. I wouldn't pay much attention to the star rating.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please where to stay

If the prices are not too different I would choose the Electra Palace, more facilities than Athens Gate & in a quieter location (I would love to stay there, not in my budget though!). If there is a big difference in price I would then choose Athens Gate.

The King George is also an excellent hotel. Of the 15 hotels I've stayed at it includes none of your choices as I stay in the budget range, but all of these are in safe areas & good locations for seeing the sites.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please where to stay

I never hesitate to recommend Airotel Parthenon. It is located in a quiet side-street but still in the center of most sights. Very close to Acropolis and the new museum, and to the Hadrians gate. Plaka is just outside, and it is a short stroll to the city park and Syntagma. They serve a great breakfast and gives excellent service. Lots of tavernas in the neighbourhood.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please where to stay

Totally agree Periscope, stayed 6 times so far! Only reason I didn't mention it was I stuck to the 3 the OP had selected so far & the fact they mentioned rooftop Acropolis views. If this isn't a necessity then the Parthenon is the best choice!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please where to stay

I also recommend Airotel Parthenon.

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please where to stay

The Herodion has amazing views of the Acropolis from its roof and also some rooms.It is about 3 minutes walk to the Acropolis Museum and Acropolis metro station and slightly further to the Plaka.

8. Re: Please where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2013, 10:25