We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights/days in santorini enough?

San Jose...
8 posts
Save Topic
2 nights/days in santorini enough?

hi, we're planning a trip to athens and two islands in mid-april. my itinerary so far - 4 days in athens (including a day trip to delphi), 1night / 1.5 day in hydra, and 2 night/3 days in santorini. i've heard Fira and Oia are must-see in Santorini... do I have enough time? also, what is the best sequence and transportation to minimize travel time? thanks a bunch!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,931 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights/days in santorini enough?

Just about enough time. I would suggest leaving the time you wish to spend in Athens until the end of your vacation and fly directly to Santorini.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 09:23
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights/days in santorini enough?

It's possible, but I think it's a bit too much for a week. You'll be spending a lot of your time shifting between the three destinations, and every time you shift it will be the better part of a day gone. Athens plus one island is enough, in my opinion. (But you might go to Hydra as a day trip from Athens - if the ferries are running in mid-April.)

I agree with Andy that if you are going to Santorini, you should fly straight there when you arrive at Athens airport, and leave Athens for last.

San Jose...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights/days in santorini enough?

thank you Andy and Alabastron. I've seen some other posts that mention it's better to fly directly to Santorini, but i haven't been able to find any flight. We live in California and will be flying out of San Francisco or San Jose. I checked KAYAK and TripAdvisor flights, nothing :(

Would it save some travel time if I do a regional flight from Athens to Santorini instead of taking the ferry? if so, where do I find good deals?

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights/days in santorini enough?

Look at Olympic and Aegean's websites- you should be able to find a flight to suit you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights/days in santorini enough?

I'm sure you can't fly direct to Santorini from San Jose or San Francisco! The advice to fly directly to Santorini means directly from ATHENS when you arrive there. There are loads of flights from Athens to Santorini - check the websites Mitsa told you about.

Going to Santorini first saves you travelling from the airport into Athens and back out again. It also ensures that you are safely back on the mainland for your flight home, instead of stranded on an island if bad weather cancels flights.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights/days in santorini enough?

Hey and welcome Lily C:-) Forget Kayak and consolidators for these puddle-jumpers..go directly to carrier sites.. check both www.aegeanair.com/ www.olympicair.com/ from Athens..give yourself a good time spread of approx 3 hours to cover..and you're off to a good start with no backtracking;-) FWIW, an isle is a perfect place to de-lag get back into 'zone'..and you'll certainly be crossing a number of those;-) You'll be ready for Athens as a finale..also ensuring that long haul journey home! Have fun..and EnjOY!

7. Re: 2 nights/days in santorini enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:29