We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Can anybody tell me which is the best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki, there will be three adults and we were looking at hiring a car. Is it cheaper to go by train or bus or better still, do ferries leave from any of the ports for Thessaloniki. We will be travelling in late May. Thanks hope somebody has some ideas...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Best and quickest way is by plane. The flight is only 35-40 minutes and if you book early you might get a good deal. Currently there are 2 airlines doing this route with many flights everyday, www.olympicair.com and www.aegeanair.com. But from 25/03/12 cyrpus airways will also start doing this route so maybe there will be offers available.

If you choose to drive, it will take you approximately 5-6 hours and it ll cost about 100 e ( gasoline and tolls ) for each leg.

Intercity trains take from about 4.5 to 6 hours.

Buses are the cheapest method but also the most uncomfortable and time consuming.

Theres no sea connection between Athens and Thessaloniki.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I dont suppose you have any idea how much the bus / train costs for the one way trip to Thessaloniki per person and if there is a service leaving Athens mid morning?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

According to tickets.trainose.gr there are trains departing at 10:18 , 12:18 and 14:18, all three trips take 5:23 minutes and the cost per person is 47 e for first class and 38 e for second class.

This is for intercity trains. Dont even think of taking the 'regular' slow train.

Buses depart at 9:30, 11:30, 13:00 and the cost per person is 42 e.

www.ktel-thes.gr/index.php…

Between the two options I think the train is the best.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Thanks once again, I think maybe the train is the way to go.

Is it possible to get on the Intercity train at Monastraki station, we are staying in Athens (Plaka area) for a few days to do a bit of sightseeing then going to Thessaloniki because we want to visit the Royal Tomb. Do we also have to book our luggage on the train before departure?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Trains to Thessaloniki leave from the "Larissa Railway station". Theres a metro station (red line) of the same name that serves it. From monastiraki station you should either take green line and change at omonoia, or take blue line and change at syntagma.

What do you mean 'book our luggage' ? Your train ticket also covers a reasonable amount of luggage per person, theres no need of any extra booking.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

The Athens to Thessaloniki train ride is one of my favourites.

South of Larissa, the railway climbs up an escarpment and heads right through some spectacular mountains, over gorges on dramatic steel viaducts that were the subject of daring attacks by partisans and British SOE agents in WW2 to cut off the German's supply lines supplying the battle for Crete.

South of Thessaloniki, you run right past Mount Olympus, mythical home of the gods.

All whilst drinking a nice glass of wine, gliding smoothly along the rails.

Enjoy it!

Edited: 21 February 2012, 15:22
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Hello Evan76, thank you once again for your wonderful advice.

By "booking the luggage" I mean do we have to take our travel bags to the station before departure so they can be stored in a special part of the train or can we taken them with us when we board the train and have them beside our seats? I am not sure how this works - our hotel is just near syntagma square so I suppose that would be the best place to get the train. I also assume you can buy the tickets for Thessaloniki at any station?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Thank you so much for your post, the train ride will definitely win out I think. It sounds like the perfect way to travel to Thessaloniki, we will definitely be looking into it.

So much to see - I can't wait ....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

http://tickets.trainose.gr/dromologia/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Athens to Thessaloniki

Hey Katerina S..just got you on your other post:-) I think you are confusing the 'metro' with the Larissa Train Depot/Station?;-) You cannot get tickets at the 'metro' stops..it's the City's 'subway' system so to speak..you cannot purchase long-distance/other tickets at the metro stops..you need to go to the main station at Larissa as mentioned above;-) And yes, you bring your luggage with you..keep it with you..no 'storage' facilities other than by your feet or above on the luggage racks;-) EnjoY!

Edited: 22 February 2012, 02:23