We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece in May

Placentia, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Greece in May

We are planning our first trip to Greece in mid-May and need all the help we can get.

We hope to spend the first 3 days in Glyfada -overlooking the sea - and see Athens from there.

We would then like to rent a car and travel the Peloponeses for 4/5 days and then go to the Greek Island for 6 days - we are thinking Santorini, Mykinos and possibly one other.

Is this do-able? Does anyone have recommendations as to what to see and where to stay in the Peloponeses? Also,m any recommendations for the islands will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice?

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece in May

Glyfada is a VERY noisy suburb of Athens because there are dozens of nightlcubs there.

Your only reasonable choice will be the Best Western Fenix. Check the reviews on all the hotels in Glyfada on T.A.

Very good choice in my opinion to decide to stay seaside at that time of the year.

Peloponnese has dozens of attractions you will have a great time, Olympia, Epidavros, Vassae, Mycenee are just some.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece in May

hi.

in 3 days in athens you 'll have the time to visit major attractions of the city.

it is a good idea that you want to rent a car and go to peloponese.in that way you will admire the beautiful landscapes of this area,you will have the chance to go wherever-whenever you like.

nafplion city is one of the most charming cities of peloponese.there you can visit the archeological museum ,a venetian fortress,a turkish temple etc.you should visit it.

also you should visit the other great places athenas suggest.

in mid may i think you will not find any problem on accomodation.you can stay each day in a different place.

santorini is wonderful.the views are one of the best and the atmosphere is ''greek at it's best''!if i were you i would skip mykonos and i would stay longer in peloponese and santorini.

Placentia, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece in May

Athenas & Telis -

Thanks for all the information!

We are travelling with another couple and they found a hotel called Emmantina in Glyfada. Said it is on the water and looks really nice. What do you think?

Nafplion sounds wonderful! - a place we should definitely stay. Do you know of any good hotels there to check out? Can we do a day trip from Nafplion to Hydra?

- Also, any recommendations on where else to stay in the Peloponese (towns and/or hotels).

Any thoughts or ideas on Delphi, Tripoli, Kalamata, Sparta? (Our travel partners mentioned these possibilities).

I know I am bombarding you with a million questions - - there are so many choices and we want to make the most of our trip.

Thanks, again, for all your help and expertise!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece in May

hi again.

i have heard that emantina hotel is an average 4 star hotel.

about nafplion city there are many charming hotels there.try:www.hotelacronafplia.gr

www.allotini-pension.gr

www.amfitriti-pension.gr

www.amymone.gr

www.andromeda-pension.com

www.antemion.gr

if you want large hotel then try: www.amalia.gr(nauplia amalia hotel)

and for extreme luxury www.helioshotels.gr(nafplia palace and amphitrion hotel)

delphi are located in central greece,so if you want to visit them you should go while you are in athens.it is a place of great interest.

in peloponese you can also go to ancient

olympia and stay somewhere close by.try www.grecotel.gr,www.amalia.gr.

beautiful area is epidavros about 30 klm from nafplion.there you can visit an acient hospital,the theatre,and the archeological museum.

also mikines-a great ancient site.it is about 30 klm from nafplion.close to nafplion is also ancient tirintha-10 minutes by car.

korinthos is another beautiful city close to nafplion with archeological findings.

sparta is a nice area(including mani and monemvasia).it was an ancient and a byzantine center.

in sparta hotels try:www.maniatishotel.gr in the city but if you want i suggest to stay outside sparta like in mani or monemvasia where small charming hotels can be found-www.mani-elixirion.gr

www.xifoupolis.com

www.theophano.gr

www.castellodiharia.gr

kalamata in the south is a large modern city with sandy beaches nearby and with arceological antiquities like ancient pylos.

in kalamata try www.elite.com.gr.

as you can see peloponese is a wide area with beautiful things to see and do so i suggest you to stay longer here and skip one island.

my suggestion is to prefer santorini.try www.santorini.gr

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece in May

Otto111 forget Emmantina Hotel....if you are looking to stay in a reasonable hotel.

If you are looking to stay in that area try the Best Western Fenix. DO BARE in mind that Glyfada is not an area for relaxation.....otherwise you will get VERY disappointed.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298307-d502897… Review-g562630-d227381-Reviews-Best_Western_Fenix_Hotel-Glyfada_Attica.html

enjoy Athens!

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece in May

Agreed. Glyfada is NOT for relaxation.

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece in May

:)

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece in May

hi.

i know for sure that there are ''sea taxis'' that takes you from costa(close to nafplion) to the island of spetses in about 10-15 min. at the most.spetses island is very picturesque.unfortunately i don;t know about transportation from peloponese to hydra.

try www.spetses.gr

edmonton, alberta
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece in May

We also are going to Greece in May. One other island you might want to visit is either Rhodes or Kos, I have been told are amazing and must see.

Just in the midst of planning a romantic 17th anniversary "honeymoon" so also looking for ideas.

edmonton, alberta

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greece in May

You can go to Hydra from Ermioni, where you have to call a sea taxi, if there is none at the port. Hydra sea taxi service phone is 2298.053690