We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips from Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
clark summit, pa
Level Contributor
363 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Trips from Athens

Hi

We are going to be in Athens for 5 days during July 2012. We want to take a trip to Delphi and another trip to the Pelopennese. Our ideal choice is to hire a driver but it seems that the price for such day trips may be 500 plus euros. On the other hand, we can take bus trips, for three of us that will cost upwards of 320 euros. I have done these bus trips before and IMO you lose your freedom and may not enjoy the trip. It seems that the price for these services have gone up tremendously since my last visit.

If anyone can recommend how I can rent a car by avoiding driving inside Athens, that will be great. Also, if anyone has any better suggestion or suggestion for a driver who is not this expensive, I'd appreciate that very much, We're taking our 17 year old who will go to college next year for his choice of a history/culture/archeology/food trip. I want this to be fun for him while not be so merciless on our budget.Your advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sarah

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips from Athens

Hello, sara95 --

First off, five days is not a very long stay... I'll ask you a couple of questions to which the answers might make it easier to help with your plans!

1. Do you have five FULL days, or do any of those days include the dates of your arrival and departure? If so, will you be arriving after a long, international flight or a short hop from a closer spot in Greece or nearby in Europe?

2. Have you been to Athens before, or will you want to see and visit the major sites, monuments and museums? If in Athens for the first time, it would be difficult to see even the highlights in less than a couple of days...and I'd recommend staying in the city, with a possible day trip to Delphi or another closer destination. Leave the road trip for a future visit. People who say that Athens only deserves a day or two are missing much!

3. If you do plan on spending part of your time outside of Athens, Is there a specific destination in the Peloponnese you want to visit? The distances can be deceiving on the map, and you don't want to spend your trip rushing madly from place to place without any time to enjoy yourself or relax.

-------------

If you are arriving early in the day, and will not be exhausted from travel, you could rent a car at the airport, and head directly to Delphi and/or a Peloponnese destination. The route from the Eleftherios Venizelos airport skirts central Athens on major roads and highways -- it's about a 3-4 hour drive to Delphi.

This trip has been discussed in depth in this forum -- just enter something along the lines of "Athens airport to Delphi by car," and you can read the hundreds of previous discussions about it.

If you plan to rent a car, be sure you have some Euro bills and coins -- many roads have tolls. You'll also want some cash for food and drink along the way, and unless things have changed in the past year, not many gas stations take credit cards outside of the suburban areas.

My (adult) daughter has used Swift Car Rental and was quite happy with them. At the time (three years ago), they would either deliver the car to your hotel or drive you to the outskirts of town and get you headed in the right direction before putting you in the driver's seat (with notice in advance) at no added charge. If you do not rent at the airport, they may be an option. She said Avanti Rent-a-Car advertised the same service, and others may as well. (I do not have any personal experience with car rental firms,as we are lucky enough to use a family member's car when we visit!)

Perhaps this will help you get started with your plans!

clark summit, pa
Level Contributor
363 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips from Athens

Thank you for your input. Yes, we have been to Athens before and also to Delphi. But my son was young then and wants to see the ruins again. We are coming to Athens from Santorini, but in the afternoon, so we'll probably visit Acropolis that day. Our hotel is in Plaka, Electra Palace, so we should be able to be there quickly enough.I did not include my arrival and departure dates in the five days we have. We had been to the saronic island cruise and to Cape Sounion, also to Glyfada side. During our current trip we are visiting Crete, then Santorini and then coming to Athens at the end of our 16 day trip.

I'll be interested in those car rental where they drive you to outskirts, but how will that work when I am dropping off the car. But this probably will be our best choice, because going to airport in a taxi is definitely an added expenditure.

Thanks again.

Sarah

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips from Athens

If you're flying back from Santorini, the best choice IMO is to rent a car at the airport and drive directly to Delphi- that way you don't have to worry about driving in the city. When we to Delphi, we did the same, drove directly to Galaxidi, spent the night and were able to get to Delphi bright and early. It was a very easy drive- even after coming directly from the US. From Delphi you can drive to to the Peloponnese, explore there and then back to the airport, drop the car off and take the metro to Plaka.

4. Re: Trips from Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:42