We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

Hi All,

We are going to Europe for the first time from Sydney and due to a short annual leave we can stay no more than 3 nights in Athens.

We will be going to Athens by flying from Paris.

Now I need to find a decent hotel for around 110 - 150 Euro's max for 2 adults in a double room. Our requirements are it should be walking distance to the main tourist attactions and close to transport as well. The bathroom should be clean as well as the room. We don't care about free breakfast etc.

Our dates are from 29th of September checking out 2nd October.

Can you guys please recommend something ? There's so many hotels to choose from and there's always some specials going on that I can't make up my mind.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

Hi there

My favourite is the Airotel Parthenon - this certainly falls well into your budget and is a well run, clean, friendly and comfortable hotel close to many of the outdoor sights. It sits on Makri St, a quiet, narrow road that runs off Areopagitou Dionysiou, the pedestrianised walkway that skirts the western flanks of the Acropolis.

The hotel is also within a few mins level stroll of Hadrian's arch, the Roman bath excavations and the Temple of Zeus. Walk the other way via Lysakratous Square, and you will be in the heart of Plaka within a few minutes too. All the other outdoor sights are within easy reach and the hotel itself is adjacent to the Akropoli station on the Red Line Metro, making access to it easy and convenient. All rooms have aircon, some have a balcony, all are en suite and a generous breakfast is included in the room rates.

http://www.airotel.gr/index.asp?a_id=177

Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

I just signed up to trip adviser today and was trying to figure out how to write a review and then found your email. I was just in Greece and I stayed at the Athens Studios. Very clean, very central, very nice, and also very Auzzie. I think you'll also be surprised (in a good way) about the price. We found out about them through a travel agency called yo tours. They were extremely helpful. I found a way to write a review about the hotel where we stayed but still haven't for the travel agency. Here are the websites http://www.athensstudios.gr/ and for the travel agency, if you should need them for a tour or something is, http://www.yotoursgreece.com/

I'd like to also say that our time in Greece was wonderful despite our concerns about what has been happening over there. The Greek people are very kind and generous people.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

Agree with GB- try Airotel Parthenon- cannot recommend it enough. Nice hotel in a very convenient location....and the staff is excellent.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

thank you soo much !! I already had Airotel Parthenon in my mind but did not want to mention this just to be fair. I am def going to book with them. Do you think should book directly with them or expedia ? The only catch is with getting a good rate is that I have to pay all in advance.

Btw, Could you also tell me how far is the airport from this hotel and what's the easiest way to travel ?

We will be flying from Paris and then we would go to Rome (again flying). I need to find the easiest and best way to travel to the airport without paying a lot.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,644 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

The easiest is to use the metro, takes 40 mins on the blue line to Syntagma, then change to the red line (direction Agios Dimitrios) for one stop to Acropoli station, the hotel is only a few minutes walk from there.

Cost 8 euro each, or 14 euro for 2. Make sure you validate the ticket (date & time stamp it in the machine) BEFORE boarding the metro, the fines for not having a VALIDATED ticket are large!

If you don't have much luggage the bus is an option too, 5 euro each to Syntagma, then a 10 min walk, mostly downhill. Takes a little longer than the metro as it's traffic dependent. The tickets for the bus can be bought from the kiosk just outside exit door 5, this time you need to validate the ticket on boarding the bus in the orange box mounted on a pole.

BTW, out of 15 hotels in Athens that I've stayed in the Partenon is the only one I've returned to 6 times!

Edited: 18 March 2012, 10:11
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

Hi again

if you do opt for the bus, then it couldn't be easier to reach the Airotel. The bus terminates on Othonos St in the SE corner of Syntagma Square, get off the bus, turn left, walk 20 yards up the hill, where you'll see the tram station to your right, turn right there, and just follow the main road down to Dionysiou Areopagitou on your right, walk down there, turn 2nd left and that's Makri St.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

thanx again :)

We will have one main luggage each and a carry on each with camera etc.

Bus won't be an option I guess. Isn't there any airport shuttle bus or can't the hotel arrange something ? I wouldn't mind travelling with 10 others in a mini van ? If not how much do you reckon the Taxi fare would be like ?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

Hi there

There's no difference between the regular bus and a shuttle, it's a dedicated Airport- City-Airport service and runs 24/7/365, it's totally safe and there's plenty of room in the centre section of the bus for bags and cases. It's what I use and it wouldn't be any slower than a shuttle, even if a shuttle were available. One way cab fare to Syntagma Square would be in the region of €35, possibly a couple of Euros more right to the door of the Airotel. The cab fare goes up to €50 after midnight.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,644 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

It would be 35 euros for a taxi during the day, it's a set fare & even if they try & ask for more (for tolls, luggage, whatever) do not pay it, it is all included. You may have to walk the last few yards as I have done sometimes (I always get a taxi to there from the bus station), as access can be difficult, if not impossible at times due to deliveries, tour buses stopped at the end of Dionysiou Areopagitou etc, but hopefully you'll get lucky! It really does depend on the day & time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athen Hotel Help - I got only 2 and a half days :(

we are keen on taking the taxi as it's our fist time and 35 Euro's for two seems reasonable.

Can you please explain what you meant by 35 Euro flat rate during the day? Does that mean I can take a taxi in the airport and it will drop me anywhere for a flat rate of 35 Euro even if there's traffic or my hotel is a bit far away ?

I am in the verge of booking my flights internally through Aegean and easy jet.com we arrive in Athens at 10:10am.