We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
5 posts
Save Topic
Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

Hi, from the acropolis museum where would be the close bus stop for cape sounion? If I wanna see the sunset from temple of poseidon when would be the time to get on a bus from Athens end of April? And what time does the bus leave from cape sounion after the sunset?

Does the bus drop you off at the site? If not, is it possible to walk from bus stop to the site?

Also I had trouble locating the bus terminals a and b that go to Delphi and meteora on google map. How do I go to these terminals?

Sorry for so many questions~thanks!!

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,666 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

Hi,

A part response to a couple of your Q's:

The bus for Delphi leaves from the Lliosson Street bus station in Athens. It's within walking distance of Kato Patisia metro station.

Even if the bus for Sounion doesn't stop outside the Temple it stops very close by, I can't remember exactly.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

The bus to Sounion drives up the one way street system to the gift shop/restaurant area at the top. It is then a short walk to the temple. Check the bus times carefully, as the last bus may depart before the sunset occurs. One great thing to do, is to go to the beach below and have dinner in the oldest restaurant on the Beach (not the new expensive fancy one, but the one frequented by Jackie Kennedy, and other stars); If the last bus has already gone, you can take a taxi into Glyfada(sp?) and then use the tram back to go back to Syntagma Square.

For Delphi, the bus stops outside the site along with 100's of tour buses.

For Meteora, the bus will stop in town. No buses take you to the monasteries. You need either a rental car (preferred or just take a bus tour).

California
Level Contributor
353 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

Where is Glyfada in km or miles from Sounion? How much would a taxi cost to get there? Where can I get more info on the tram that you mention?

It sounds a little silly for the last bus to leave before sunset since that is the primary reason a lot of people go out there---to see the sunset over the ruins!! Does this mean that public transportation is useless in this situation and you pretty much have to book a tour with lots of other people????

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

Well, a lot of foreign tourists use this bus to see the sunset,locals use it for complitely different reasons. I never got why visitors think that a public service focused obviously on local population should be rather aimed on them and if not it is called "silly" or "useless" !

Depending of course on where exactly in Glyfada you are, Sounion is about 40kms away if my memory serves me right.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

>I never got why visitors think that a public service focused obviously on local population should be rather aimed on them and if not it is called "silly" or "useless" !>

Exactly.

Sunset time varies, of course. Tourists, who visit Sounion early or late in the season, may find that the last bus gives them plenty of time to see the sunset.

What I wonder is why this particular Sounion-sunset has become so famous. I've seen it, and I agree it's a good sunset, but it's no better or more spectacular than lots of other sunsets. Sunsets from the summit of Philoppapos Hill, or from Lykabettos, or the Pnyx, are just as good. If not better. :-)

We get a great sunset from our bedroom window in southeast London, for that matter - looking out over the Thames to the whole of the city.

Sorry to take the mickey. It was irresistible.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 10:10
California
Level Contributor
353 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

You two are definitely right. "Silly" and "useless" are uncalled for descriptions of a mode of public transportation meant for locals and, sometimes, used by tourists. I reread my comments and thought how rude they sound. Sorry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

Thank you - what a nice apology. :-) Don't worry about it, and have a lovely time.

8. Re: Bus to temple of poseidon at cape sounion/Delphi/meteora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:16