We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

simcard at airport

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
simcard at airport

We are traveling to Greece,arriving in Athens 27 April. We will then wait at airport for about two hours before flying to santorini. We want to buy a simcard at the airport for us to use during our trip, because it will be a lot cheaper than activating our international roaming on our phones.

Can anybody please give advice on where to purchase a sim card at the airport? Will it work easily on any phone etc.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
903 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: simcard at airport

At any of the newspaper kiosks in the airport. You will need a photocopy of your passport in order to get on though...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,756 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: simcard at airport

As you go through to departures for your Santorini flight you will see a Germanos store on your right, you can get them there, as well as a cheap phone if yours doesn't work on the right bandwidth.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: simcard at airport

Thank you very much Yiassas and Panionara!

Can you tell me how much would it cost for the sim?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: simcard at airport

Did you try ebay? I got one for a good price, about 1 euro per day for unlimited internet and 5 Euro for 160 minutes to the USA.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: simcard at airport

Thanks edoobs.

I quickly had a look, but it says that it will only be deliverd by 2May2012. We're in south africa. flying to greece on 26 april. :-(

Any idea for the costs of a sim in athens?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
903 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: simcard at airport

The cost of the sim usually depends on how much phone credit you want to be included. For most companies, this can be bought in blocks of 5, 10 and 20 euro...

So the sim is essentially free, it's the phone credit that you pay for.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 14:39
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: simcard at airport

Thanks very much!

This information helps a lot.

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: simcard at airport

What are good sim card companies that are available at the airport? I'd like to look up their charges on their website so I can try to guess how much time I'll want / what that cost would be. I'll be in Greece for nearly 5 weeks total this year, so I figure I should get an actual Greek sim instead of using my more expensive international one.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,756 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: simcard at airport

Main suppliers are Cosmote, Vodafone & Wind. To be honest, using a pay as you go they won't be hugely different over 5 weeks if you are doing a mix of call types.

Just one point to note, when you top up you will notice your balance won't go up by the amount you've loaded, the tax is taken off then rather than added to the cost of the top up card.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: simcard at airport

,,that must be new:-) I have a Cosmote prepaid and whenever I load..say 20E, it gives me exact amount..never saw any deducations!

Does anyone know if the Germanos store at the arrival's level is still closed?! Thanks..and enjoy all!