We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Art Gallery Hotel

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Art Gallery Hotel

I and my family are planning to stay at ART GALLERY HOTEL in Athens first week of June. Has anyone stayed there? I have read the reviews at tripadvisor but would love to get more feedbacks pls. Thanks. Tates

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

Hey and welcome Tates:-) Well, I haven't actually stayed there, but have stayed in area visiting a friend a number of times! It's a fabulous residential area..great neighborhood known as Koukaki serviced by the metro at Syngrou-Fix stop..as well as the Akropolis stop in other direction..but quite walkable and ever so close to center..you can't get any more 'center close' than this! You can walk to the Akropolis Museum in about 10 min! The main drag of Drachou is totally pedestrianized.. lined with cafes, tavernas, restaurants..bit of an uphill but bad at all;-)

There's a wonderful taverna as you exit Syngrou-Fix..on Drachou, to the left as you start the walk up Drachou and literally steps from the metro stop..I'm drawing a blank on the name but am sure it will come to me eventually;-) Anyway, you won't miss it since it'll be the first taverna you come across with classic wooden tables/chairs outside (just before the little Ouzeri..practically side by side).. they make some great souvlaki..as well as typical dishes..you can walk inside and check out what's on offer! Have had many enjoyable dinners there with some wine, a salad..chicken souvlaki..people watching;-) Usually packed with loads of locals..which is as good a sign as you can get! Again, can't help with the property itself..although it looks quaint and charming on the outsdie..but the area is a great bet;-) Have fun..and EnJOY!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

Wow, Litsa - that taverna sounds great - and not at all 'touristy', right? It's actually quite near me - my nearest Metro is Agios Ioannis, and a British friend who comes regularly from Austria has a flat which is even closer. I think I'll suggest it the next time he's in town!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

..AMBROSEIA..that's it..lol;-) How could I forget that place!! I kept trying to envision the beautiful pastel colored sign above the place with the taverna name on it..finally got it;-)) Anyway, do give it a try..it's huge as a take out place with locals..I've always sat outside 'in the bushes' so to speak..lol!! Love that place..and SO reasonably priced!

FWIW, I stayed in that area for a practically a month one year in June during a massive heatwave.. also found a great German restaurant on that drag..bit further up from Ambroseia on the other side of the street.. that had killer a/c;-)) Although I don't eat meat, they had some nice wine..along with a a huge selection of beers..and some great chicken/veg dishes! Nice for a change when there for a while;-) Keep enjoin' all!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

Thanks Litsa! I was already getting worried that I might end up in a bad location. As a first time visitor to the area, it helps a lot to get insights like the ones you mentioned and we will definitely look out for the taverna you recommended. We're all excited for our trip and second to the sites, we want to try the local dishes as well.

Hopefully the hotel is good inside as well :) as you said, the location is a good bet! Thats good enough for us.

I can now plan for our tour to Delphi, Meteora and Argolis. Still deciding which tour group to take or DIY.. Any suggestion? I'm hoping to do everythong in 3 to 4 days.

Thanks so much,

Tates

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

My pleasure Tates:-) For what you're looking to do..and sounds like there will be more than 2 of you?..nonetheless, get a rental..you'll be on your own time and have the flex/ freedom to move about at will without having to depend on schedules or 'group itineraries' which can be pretty harried;-) FWIW, I'd be looking at 4 days/3nights minimum at what you're looking to accomplish..Meteora alone is about a 5-6 hour drive back to Athens;-) Enjoyin'!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

Hi Litsa!

Thanks once again for the advice.. Yes, I'm travelling with my husband and two adult kids (20s). Its our graduation treat to our daughter and the rest of the family gets to tag along. The perfect gift!

The tricky part is getting an International drivers license here in Cairo :(

Take care!

Tates

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

Always a pleasure Tates:-) Sorry, can't help on the driver's license coming from Egypt..but am sure you can ask at the local Greek Embassy/Consulate there?;-) Certainly sounds like a wonderful treat for all! Keep us posted..enjoyin'!

8. Re: Art Gallery Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:16