We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy an icon and some quality handicrafts?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
434 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy an icon and some quality handicrafts?

Advice requested!

When I think back on what I have bought on various trips, most destinations had only one purchase I ended up cherishing. In each case it was something made by hand. I am an artist and craftsman myself: which means though I know good workmanship when I see it: I often can’t afford it.

Reproductions are fine: as long as they don’t scream “reproduction,” as when some one makes a clumsy cast of a statue in resin and you can still see the mold marks and the bubbles. I came home almost empty handed from Egypt 5 years ago, because all the shops our group visited had the most crude cheap looking stuff.

I spent a lot of time studying classical Greek pottery in art history. So a good repro of black figure or red figure would be great. I love Byzantine art as well as classical.

I’ll be in Santorini first: if they are known for some kind of handicraft, let me know. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy an icon and some quality handicrafts?

If you want to purchase quality items, then I recommend visiting the giftshops attached to the many museums in Athens such as Benaki and Cycladic Art

http://hellenicmuseumsshop.com

www.cycladic.gr/frontoffice/portal.asp…

For Icons, you will find stores in the area surrounding the Athens Cathedral which is on Mitropoleos (try Pandrosou St and Appolonos Streets)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy an icon and some quality handicrafts?

Exactly what Ddtem wisely advised.

Benaki Museum shop is great, on the more expensive side ( although you can find great bronze paper stands, coin-like around 20 - 25 euros, these are great, look for them at the left as you enter the museum, central desk ). Right side is jewellery.

You can find also some icon place on Agiou Markou / Evagelistrias str.

http://g.co/maps/ev2vc is a map with both Ddtem's wise advise and later advise too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy an icon and some quality handicrafts?

Hey linnea56:-) I couldn't agree more about the Museum gift shops.. I even usually end up buying my Christmas gifts from there;-) As far as Santorini, there is a place (forget the name!) in Oia..edge of Town by the Castle..on a corner..you won't miss it (it's not a large area there..if you walk around, you're bound to bump into it;-) Anyway, there's a guy there that makes handcrafted piecess out of wood..mostly olive wood! He's been there the last couple of times I visited..and I always walk away with some unique items.. hand carved olive picks..cutting board..and he does carve icons as well! I think you'll find it very interesting;-) He's a wonderful guy..and I was shocked when he remembered me the second time I stopped in (after 2 years) considering all the tourists that he sees on a dialy basis in Season! He's always working on something in his little shop area there in the back! Happy shopping..and EnjoY!

4. Re: Best place to buy an icon and some quality handicrafts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:17