We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Hi All

I am arriving in Athens at 8.35am (on april 28) and need to get to Santorini. Despite the fact that flight from Athens to Santorini is nothing but day-time robbery, I am thinking of booking the one that leaves at 10.30am.

I am not familiar with this airport. Is 2 hours going to be enough to get luggage, go through immigration and get on the next flight?

I am not particularly short on time and could have taken a ferry but it seems like the fast one leaves early in the morning and the rest of them are slow ones. Or am I not looking in the right place? Can someone recommend the website to see schedule/book tickets on fast boats to Santorini?

Many thanks!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Even if you have to collect your luggage and check in, 2 hours is plenty of time at Athens airport. As it is a fairly new Airport it often appears in the best 10 Airports in Europe Surveys.....

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Athens is superb airport and if all flights are on time you'll have no problemo with your connection.....last September we made a 1h 10m. connection

with plenty of time to spare.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

By day-time robbery, I'm assuming you are referring to the price? Have you checked both Olympic and Aegean? Often, both airlines have specials on domestic fares...shop around and see what you can come up with.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Thanks all!

Yes, I am referring to the prices to fly from Athens to Santorini. I checked both airlines, well kayak did it for me. And the flights are over $170 one way. For such a short flight I consider this pretty obnoxious.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

RoamAroundWorld, helps us a bit here. Are we talking April 28th 2013? or May with this being a mistype?

If we are talking about May ( next week ) prices are sensibly skyrocketing. Tickets that are as low as 40 - 50 euros get purchased 6 - 8 months earlier, so anyone booking last minute is stuck either with the very expensive tickets or the ferry ( which is not that bad, nice, cool, just takes more time ). This isc common in most European air carriers.

Now, on the "kayak or not" thing, always check airlines sites. Prices tend to be a bit lower there.

Help us a bit. When is your trip? This month or next April?

Edited: 20 May 2012, 11:36
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Sorry, of course May 28. Another manifestation of me needing a vacation. :)

I checked on the airlines websites, its the same price as the one kayak is quoting.

I actually have no problem with taking a ferry, but judging by what I see on this website paleologos.forth-crs.gr/english/npgres.exe… the fast one leaves at 7.30am and I am not making it. The other ones are slow ones and given that I will be on a boat for 10 days sailing around the islands, I don't want to spend half a day on a ferry getting there. On the way back to Athens, however, I plan on taking a ferry to save a few bucks.

yes, totally my fault - I am a last minute planning kind of person. :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

I am too sometimes.

Hey, if plane is what you want and you can affor it, then this must be the option to take. I understand it's a pretty sour price right now, but we are really pretty active here to inform people on the sales when they get out, even if this is many months ago. Usually we create a mini havoc in here for TA readers to get them, by posting the links, still they tend to vanish in a couple of days indeed.

If by any mean you have miles to spend, this may be an option too if you are Star Alliance related by anyway. This will mean Aegean Airlines and will get you an only-taxes ticket, which will mean 50 - 55 euros i guess.

Anyway you see it, much needed vacation time will come and this trip will be realised :) So hang in there, charge that camera and trip will come, airplane ticket or ferry one. It's a stunning country :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Thank you, Nick_arch. I am not overly concerned about spending $$. I just wanted to make sure I am not spending them foolishly. Thats why it is a good idea to check with tripadvisor folks who are always so so helpful.

Money is just that - means to enjoy yourself and have fun. Otherwise, why work?

I am looking forward to this trip and high costs of certain things will not spoil it for me!

Dubai, United Arab...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Hi,

I am flying into Athens and then proceeding to Heraklion, Greece. The internatioanl flight is via Emirates Airlines and then I plan on taking Olympia for the domestic leg. The connection time is 2hrs. Is that enough? I will be checking in my baggage and will have to go through the customs. I will be landing during the morning/ afternoon hours. Please experts, pour in your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection at Athens airport - is 2 hours enough?

Hey there! I am the one who opened this topic. Thr answer is yes, absolutely, 2 hours is plenty of time. I was surprised how efficient the airport was. Enjoy your Greece trip!