We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 17

Silver Spring...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
June 17

We (family of 5 youngest 15) are spending only June 17 in Athens. Our main plan is to visit the Acropolis. Is this going to be open?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 17

Elizabeth, chances are that it will be closed, its too early to get confirmation though. It was closed on the last election day on May 6.

Silver Spring...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: June 17

Thanks -just for clarification before I try to see if I can rearrange_

Is the whole Acropolis area closed , or just the Museum?

Would we be able to walk through on our own?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 17

The museum is independant from the main archeological site, and may well be open even if the main site is closed.

If Acropolis is closed you can't enter the site.

APO germany
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 17

We had our Athens day scheduled for the 17th of June, leaving for the islands on the 18th, so we are disappointed. How close to Acropolis can you get without "entering" will we not be able to get a good view with it being closed?

So sad that this is the state of such a beautiful place. I have so many friends who are cancelling trips left and right to Greece because of the strikes/riots/economy . We are flying into Greece the 16th and NOT cancelling, although I have to admit this has been the most stressful vacation planning ever. If it wasn't on my husbands bucket list we wouldn't be going. Its not the riots we are worried about, but the uncertainity of A. being stranded somewhere due to strikes and B. being without cash if something were to happen to the Euro.I have been lurking for a while and following the posts here. I'm hoping the Greek are welcoming as you all say. Please tell me this is all worth it !

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 17

Hi Gibsontrio5,

and welcome to the forum.

Please don't take any notice in what newspapers and TV coverage are highlighting as possibilities. Go - and enjoy your Greek holiday - it will definitely be worth it.

The Greek people are always welcoming and hospitable. If there should be any strike it will be announced beforehand, and an eventual Euro change will not happen overnight.

To give you an idea of the Acropolis area look up this album:

http://tinyurl.com/czdx56

6. Re: June 17

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:40